PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp/Cooler Question

kchansen
11-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi All,

As winter approaches here in Iowa, I'm looking to get some input on oil temps. My Pacer has an O-290-D2 (135hp) and the oil cooler is mounted in the back (all paperwork accounted for).

My question is - as the outside temps cool down, I'm averaging around 140 degrees on oil temp. Is this acceptable? During the summer months, it would sit right at 180 degrees any day of the week.

Anyone do anything different with these rear-mounted oil coolers during the winter? This is my first winter with the aircraft. :)

Thanks!

Gilbert Pierce
11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Burning gasoline creates water that gets in the oil. Block the oil cooler. Higher oil temps evaporate more water out of the oil. I block off my oil cooler every winter and I live a lot farther south then you do. I try for 180 to 200 degrees.

kchansen
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Burning gasoline creates water that gets in the oil. Block the oil cooler. Higher oil temps evaporate more water out of the oil. I block off my oil cooler every winter and I live a lot farther south then you do. I try for 180 to 200 degrees.

Thanks, Gilbert. What is the best method to block it with the rear-mount method?

pa20
11-02-2012, 12:09 PM
The quickest method is to use aluminum tape. Clean the surfaces around the cooler with a grease/wax remover first. Try to get it on with no bubbles or creases on the tape, and it will last through the winter.
I would start with blocking about 60% of the cooler first, and progress from there. I have made a blocker that attaches to the baffle, and blocks about 50% of the cooler. As it gets really cold, I have a strip of silicone baffling seal that further blocks it to about 25%.
The temps that Gilbert states above, are what I look to see in cruise. In a 90 mph climb, I see about 210-215F.

Gilbert Pierce
11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I made two aluminum blockoff plates. One blocks about 60% the other about 95% fore when it gets cooler. They attach to holes in the cooler frame with #10 screws and high temp lock nuts.

As Mark said, aluminum tape works well and so does the infamous duct tape.