PDA

View Full Version : Custom Styled Shock Cord Covers (eBay) on a Vagabond?

LightFlight
02-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Hi all,

I've seen these on eBay... look pretty nice: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Custom-Styled-Leather-Shock-Cord-Covers-Piper-Cub-P-N-31073-CS-/170985806548?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item27cf8c5ad4&vxp=mtr

Anyone have any experience with these on a PA-17?

We checked the bungees during the annual, they were replaced a couple years ago before I purchased the plane, and they look good. I also noticed that a couple snaps were broken on the covers... wouldn't mind replacing them with something smaller and nicer, as they are showing their age.

I thought I saw these in the Univair catalog, as well. I'll have another look.

Just curious if anyone had anything good or bad to say about these "custom styled" ones. I wouldn't mind something that fit a bit tighter.

Cheers,

Joel

Steve Pierce
02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
That guy makes nice stuff. met him at Oshkosh a few years ago. The covers that Univair sells are exactly like the factory drawing and you have to remove one end of the shock strut to remove. This is a nicer design because you can get the thing off. I use a thin piece of aluminum inside the cover to give it and airfoil shape. It keeps the covers from flapping and wrinkling and they tend to last longer.

LightFlight
04-24-2013, 10:06 PM
That guy makes nice stuff. met him at Oshkosh a few years ago. The covers that Univair sells are exactly like the factory drawing and you have to remove one end of the shock strut to remove. This is a nicer design because you can get the thing off. I use a thin piece of aluminum inside the cover to give it and airfoil shape. It keeps the covers from flapping and wrinkling and they tend to last longer.

Well, I've purchased a set and they have been shipped. Don and his sister Patty are quite helpful, and you can tell they are honest business people.

I'm looking forward to putting these on. I'll take a few pictures when I do.

That is a good idea with the aluminum Steve. I will certainly look into doing that as well. Do you try to fill the cover with an aluminum sheet all around, or just a strip on either end? I have some 0.025" for a new trim tab, if I ever get around to finishing it.

Steve Pierce
04-25-2013, 07:18 AM
I fill it with one piece in a teardrop shape.

LightFlight
05-08-2013, 02:24 AM
I'm quite happy with these! I forgot to snap some pics, but I will! They look great, and can only decrease the drag from the old large ones with broken snaps!