PDA

View Full Version : Foreflight Runway Winds

Gilbert Pierce
05-27-2013, 10:09 AM
ForeFlight Mobile v5.1 on the iPad has a neat new feature, RUNWAY WINDS. If you fly into airports with multiple runways with winds that are never down any of them it is a big help to reduce the mental calculations to determine which one to use. Perry Florida is a good example.
See page 21 in the user manual.

Go to AIRPORTS on the bottom menu bar and type in the airport you are arriving at. Then select RUNWAYS and the all of the runways show up with WIND COMPONENTS giving the wind vectors for each runway based on the current reported wind.

The first arrow shows the relative wind for that runway heading. Green for headwind and Red for tailwind. Duh

The 2nd column is the true cross wind component 90 degrees to the runway in kts.

The 3rd column is headwind or tailwind component parallel to the runway in kts. Again in red or green.
Yesterday I went to an airport with 18-36 and wind at 280/10 . A student in a C172 was using 18 in closed traffic. He obviously could not determine headwind/tailwind. He got a little upset with me when I called in landing on 36. I didn't need the iPad for this one but he did.

rmalone
05-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Thats a great feature. We used it on a cross country to Batesville Arkansas recently. Really handy when the airport has multiple runways.