PDA

View Full Version : Vagabond leveling for weight & balancing

Johnny Angel
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I have a Piper Vagabond PA-17 & I will be having a weight & balance done on it soon. I have a question regarding leveling the plane. Info says to drop a plumb bob from the hole in the upper door frame to the center punch mark on the front tube support of the seat. The center punch mark is visible but the door frame & interior ceiling is covered with ceconite & I can not find the hole on the upper door frame. I have felt around in the area that I believeit should be but can not find an indentation in the covering. Can anyone tell what the distance is, in inches, from the front upper corner of the door frame? I would rather not just start randomly cutting the covering to find it. Is this hole on the exterior, interior, or bottom side of the upper door frame?

Thanks, any help here would be greatly appreciated. Johnny

Steve Pierce
07-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Looking at Drawing 11576 it appears the hole is about 5" aft of the front door post in the channel that makes the top of the door frame. It also appears that the fuselage is level when the left pilot window is level.

Johnny Angel
07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks Steve, I will check that out.

tnowak
07-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I measured mine today and it is 5 11/16" from the internal corner of the door frame to the centre of the hole.

TonyN

Johnny Angel
07-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks Tony - Was the hole on the exterior, interior side, or bottom of the upper door frame? Mine is covered all the way around so I am not sure where to open it up at.

tnowak
07-14-2013, 02:38 AM
Hole is on the vertical, exterior, face of the upper door frame. Basically, right in front of you when looking at the door frame. Hole is about 3/16" diameter.
TonyN

Johnny Angel
07-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Tony, thanks again - you have been very helpful. I will check it out. Johnny

DrHook3960
06-04-2015, 03:36 PM
I found mine by putting a bright lamp thru the access hole and looking up.