PDA

View Full Version : Aileron cable exit covers/seals

alpinestar
08-14-2013, 06:41 AM
Anybody have any ideas for finishing the cable exit on the fuselage sides (PA16-17)? I have the "usual" vinyl/leather patch in mind but wondered if others had some better methods. My plane is experimental so no holds barred!! Plane is red in that area, something besides a stark black patch would be ideal.

Zac Weidner
08-14-2013, 07:54 AM
I used the white plastic triangle shaped ones from Wick's and glued them to the fabric with Poly-Tack, then painted them with the top coats. If your fabric is already painted, you could probably paint them first. To install them, you have to cut the back hole out with a knife, and make a slit to flex it over the cable. I think they add a nice touch, compared to the original leather patches.

alpinestar
08-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks Zac; I'm familiar with the fairings you're talking about.. Are you talking about the rudder cables? I'm looking for aileron cable ideas (where they exit the fuse and run up the struts). Not sure how well the little white triangles would work up there but yep they do look/work great at the rear of the fuselage.

Zac Weidner
08-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I didn't remember that your cables ran up the struts. The Tri Pacer's cables all run through the wings, so I used them on rudder cables and all 4 aileron cables. I'm not familiar with ones that would work for what you are looking for, but there are most likely some out there that would work great.

Steve Pierce
08-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Clipper and Vagabond have the aileron cables run up the strut. Piper glued the leather patches on prior to painting the aircraft at least on the Super Cub.