PDA

View Full Version : How to splice shielded wiring?

McDaver63
11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm in the process of fixing some wiring on my PA-22/20's alternator system. I'm re-wiring the field wire that goes to and from the overvoltage relay. Does anybody know a good technique for splicing the shielded wiring?

redbarron55
11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I doubt that it will make a great deal of difference since most alternator don't generate that much noise in those circuits. You have the buss voltage in and from there the field power goes out.
You could just strip and fan out the shield and splice the shields with a butt splice along with the conductors.
I have also taken a awl and worked a hole in the shield and pulled the conductor through and this makes a prettier termination.
I would not worry with trying to keep the shield continuous over the conductor. If this was an issue I would replace the entire wire.

rocket
11-12-2013, 05:00 PM
MD,
only regulator F lead I have seen shielded was vary original C-170. Most do not shield F lead.

If shielding was needed it would make more sense to just fabricate a new one.

I would make one unshielded taking only a few minutes ,and if it turned out it was noisy, take the time to make a nice new one.

Rocket