PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust systems

cook11
12-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Which system seems to work best. 4 to 1, 2 to 1 "exhaust stacks" ,crossover or 4 pipe "vetterman styled"
Like with any purchase or build what is the best value for your dollar and time especially for an experimental Pacer made for cruise/top end speed :icon_wink:....not STOL. Since I am capable of welding TIG stainless steel I will be more than likely fabricating my own setup.

KSG
12-23-2013, 01:19 PM
4 into 1 is far superior to a vetterman. Equal length exhaust tubing converging into a collector is still recognized as the most efficient system with the benefit of being quieter.

Jason Gerard
12-23-2013, 02:55 PM
The stock piper system is very hard to improve and the benefits would come from eliminating the muffler or modifying it. Id take the stock headers and create a double exhaust set up. You will loose some of the good cabin heat the stock system provides by eliminating the stock style muffler. If you don't have one to start with just buy the sutton exhaust system.

jason

cook11
12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I currently have the stock 172 exhaust system on my Pacer.... I hate how the exhaust pipe sticks out right next to the carb intake. I would much rather have a flat belly pan with the exhaust pipe(s) exiting below the firewall.

KSG
12-24-2013, 09:57 AM
4 equal length tubes leading into collector located below the firewall. Primary tubes will be a little shorter than ideal but far superior to dissimilar length 4 into 2 exhaust. Engine will run cooler burn less fuel and make more power. Unequal length systems may run very well at certain rpm and atmospheric conditions, but a lot of dyno time to establish. 4 into 1 has been proven to be much more forgiving to design. A tri Y system is another alternative but takes more room and weighs more. After the collector 4" of tube into a slight megaphone would probably help.

pa20
12-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Here are some shots of the exhaust on the Mystery Pacer. Was surprised that Mr. Younkin stayed with a stock exhaust system.

KSG
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Here are some shots of the exhaust on the Mystery Pacer. Was surprised that Mr. Younkin stayed with a stock exhaust system.
Probably liked the great heat. Do you know if the muffler contained a flame tube or any internal mods?