PDA

View Full Version : Calaveras AirFaire Apr 26, 2014

pa20
01-21-2014, 03:17 PM
I wanted to invite all SWPO members in the NorCal and surrounding areas to attend the Calaveras county Airport (KCPU) AirFaire on Apr. 26, 2014. This is an annual event that is well attended by pilots throughout California.
There will be many aircraft that vary from warbirds to weight shift. There is no organized airshow, however there is usually some aerobatics, and an RV formation team.
For those who may want to make a weekend out of it, there are some fun places to stay at airports within 20 NM.
As usual, I never know if work is going to get in the way of my fun, but hopefully we can get a good group of SWP's there to have a showing. The airport manager, Kathy, reserves the prime display locations for taildraggers, but has always given me special dispensation for our nosegear challenged brethren. She is quite partial to the classic/vintage aircraft, and welcomes all with open arms.

Brian
01-21-2014, 10:57 PM
I will put this on my outlook calendar Mark and plan to fly up. I used to attend a similar event yearly at Georgetown called the Gathering of Tailwheels & Swine Tasting. Used to go every year and camp out along the runway. Do they allow tent camping at this event ? By the way what's the significance of the photo of the Colt sideways in the tie down ? Winner of the spot landing contest ?
Brian

pa20
01-22-2014, 02:02 AM
That is Kurt in his Colt. He is a big fancy corporate pilot, and believes he can park any way he wants!:D That was the first year that I posted about the Airfaire on this site, and Kurt was nice enough to bring his pretty little Colt to put on display. We had about 5 SWP's show up, and I was really happy as it was short notice.
You can certainly camp at the airport. The unfortunate part is that there are no services close by, as the airport is out between two towns. It is about 5 miles either way to town. Another good option would be to fly in to Columbia, and camp there. There are several restaurants, pubs, etc., within walking distance. You could then fly over to KCPU (15NM) for the AirFaire, spend the day and fly back to Columbia.
If you have not been to Columbia, they have a grass runway, camping area with showers, and some pretty cool folks with neat toys in residence.