PDA

View Full Version : SWPC 2014 Convention Schedule?

BHarvey
06-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Pardon me for having to ask here but does anyone have the Short Wing Piper Convention Schedule for 2014. I'd like to go but I can't dedicate a week to it. I would like to schedule my arrival so I can see the forums that are most interesting to me.

Ben

pa20
06-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Ben,
I have been asking the people planning the Convention for a schedule for months via the SWPC Forums and FB page....Nada. I have sent personal emails to them with questions regarding the schedule, and other details...Crickets chirping. Here is the page for the schedule (don't click unless you feel like palm slapping your forehead) http://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/convention-2014-schedule/
Not sure what to tell you. I saw a photo of the ramp the other day. I think there were a total of about 10 SWP's on the ramp at that time. Where would you be flying from?
UPDATE! I found this page which was posted 12-7-2013. Not sure if this is still accurate or not, but it does speak to your question. http://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/planned-programs-and-speakers/ I thought that I saw something else at one time, but as I have no plans to attend, spending more time searching is not in the cards.

BHarvey
06-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Thank you. I stumbled around the SWPC website and found those things too. I was hoping to find a hourly schedule. I tried to download the newsletter to see if it had more information. Although I can access the members portion of the website with my password, I can't get to the newsletter or post on their forum to ask for a schedule.
I had planned to fly in from Mojave and one of my coworkers with a Tripacer had planned to go too. I'll probably be in a Tiger since my Pacer is down for a 6 month annual.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
06-25-2014, 03:53 PM
If I did this right I should have uploaded the two PDF files of the convention schedule. I know they had some issues due to a couple of speakers dropping out at the last minute. My Dad is filling in for one of them.

Brian.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
06-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Just got off the phone with dad...

The convention is basically dead... Only 10 planes, maybe 60 people...

Brian.

Curly
06-26-2014, 01:46 AM
Sounds like the SWPC chickens have finally come home to roost! :sad:

rwdurham
06-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Well, there's the success story we all expected.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
06-26-2014, 10:04 AM
From what I understand there has been some head butting between two rival clubs in the area.... One is boycotting the other....

Brian.

edit: This is probably not true, my appologies... see my comment on post #12

Clayton Harper
06-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Maybe it is the "Compassionate Conservative" side of me, but I hate to see anything become extenct. I got over being mad with the SWPC, and had planned to re-join.

If it is going to die, SOMEONE SAVE THE CDs.

HandyDan
06-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Nostradamus predicted that there will be a dramatic revival of the club in 2015. Branson is going to be great!

pa20
06-26-2014, 11:21 AM
From what I understand there has been some head butting between two rival clubs in the area.... One is boycotting the other....

Brian.

Brian,
Can you delineate on this? I am particularly interested in which "two rival clubs in the area" might be at odds. There is only one CA Chapter, as the previous two were inactive/dormant, and the BOD revoked their charter in January 2013. To my knowledge, there is no "other" club for the CA Chapter to be at odds with. BTW...An officer of the CA Chapter was at the convention, as he attended the Chapter President's Meeting, so there was no boycotting.
Even if there were two rival factions, this does not explain why many of the usual convention suspects are not in attendance this year.
As a "local" to this convention I chose not to attend for a multitude of reasons, two of which include; (1) My aversion to attending events that are held at large airports with commercial airline service and a TSA presence. (2) Having my airline shutdown put me in a position where spending $500 for expenses to attend was not in the cards.
I am disappointed that I did not attend, due to not being able to introduce myself to your dad again. I met him for the first time at the Odessa Convention in 2002, and bought his gascolator there.

PS...For those who might want to mark their calendar, as Dan stated above, the 2015 Convention will be held at Branson, MO. The Committee has pledged that they will assure that there is lots of flying to be done while there. Hopefully, I will be in a position to make the trek, by then!

stevesaircraft(Bri)
06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Brian,
Can you delineate on this? I am particularly interested in which "two rival clubs in the area" might be at odds. There is only one CA Chapter, as the previous two were inactive/dormant, and the BOD revoked their charter in January 2013. To my knowledge, there is no "other" club for the CA Chapter to be at odds with. BTW...An officer of the CA Chapter was at the convention, as he attended the Chapter President's Meeting, so there was no boycotting.
Even if there were two rival factions, this does not explain why many of the usual convention suspects are not in attendance this year.
As a "local" to this convention I chose not to attend for a multitude of reasons, two of which include; (1) My aversion to attending events that are held at large airports with commercial airline service and a TSA presence. (2) Having my airline shutdown put me in a position where spending $500 for expenses to attend was not in the cards.
I am disappointed that I did not attend, due to not being able to introduce myself to your dad again. I met him for the first time at the Odessa Convention in 2002, and bought his gascolator there.

PS...For those who might want to mark their calendar, as Dan stated above, the 2015 Convention will be held at Branson, MO. The Committee has pledged that they will assure that there is lots of flying to be done while there. Hopefully, I will be in a position to make the trek, by then!

No I can't.... Probably should not have said anything because it is an "Off the hip" rumor I heard from someone else that probably heard it from someone else that heard it from someone else’s aunt's cousin... etc, etc....

I think more than anything that the low attendance was caused by the lack of information and location. This thread was started because BHarvey could not find any information on the schedule of events. The PDF's that I posted earlier was in an e-mail I got Tuesday of last week (6-17-14) There needs to be more communication through the club members in order to have a successful turnout.

My apologies to anyone that my previous comment may have affected.

Brian.

pa20
06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
I think your observations are accurate. It is interesting that you got an email with a schedule, yet I have received no information from the committee despite numerous requests. I appreciated you posting the .pdf files so that at least my long time questions have been answered!
As "SuperPacer" is known to quote......Enjoy the day!

Gilbert Pierce
06-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Nostradamus predicted that there will be a dramatic revival of the club in 2015. Branson is going to be great!

Only with a leadership change.

Presently we have no leadership. Only a manager.
Prior to Peter's presidency we had no leadership either for two years. Questionable if we even had a manager. Any wonder the Club has gone from 3000+ members and a growing bank account to less then 1100 and a shrinking treasury.

The 1999 Convention in Denver saw about 110 aircraft and 300+ people in attendance. The 2009 Nashville Convention had 57 airplanes and 210 people. Contrast that with 10 airplanes and less then 60 people this week.
Change is needed. The Club needs leadership. MBA courses don't necessarily produce leaders. From my perspective more likely managers.

Contrast the picture posted here of the ten aircraft at SMX with the picture posted below of the 2009 convention ramp. This is 17 of the 57aircraft present.

6686 6685

Kurts
06-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Well said, Gilbert.

Kurt

rwdurham
06-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Only with a leadership change.

Presently we have no leadership. Only a manager.
Prior to Peter's presidency we had no leadership either for two years. Questionable if we even had a manager. Any wonder the Club has gone from 3000+ members and a growing bank account to less then 1100 and a shrinking treasury.

The 1999 Convention in Denver saw about 110 aircraft and 300+ people in attendance. The 2009 Nashville Convention had 57 airplanes and 210 people. Contrast that with 10 airplanes and less then 60 people this week.
Change is needed. The Club needs leadership. MBA courses don't necessarily produce leaders. From my perspective more likely managers.

Contrast the picture posted here of the ten aircraft at SMX with the picture posted below of the 2009 convention ramp. This is 17 of the 57aircraft present.

6686 6685

I agree. Well said Gilbert.

PeterL
06-26-2014, 10:31 PM
I find it very interesting and disturbing, not to mention that the 2014 Convention committee has committed a crime.

They, (Connie) has taken the liberty to use one of MY images that I have worked hard for. I spent the time, money and effort to produce my images. The original intent for this image was for the SWPC website, NOT for anything else! Period, unless I have given my sign off to such. Bottomline, I did not give the the convention chair my permission to use my images.

The symbol with the "c" inside a circle means copyright protected.

Peter Lubig

pa20
06-27-2014, 12:51 AM
I find it very interesting and disturbing, not to mention that the 2014 Convention committee has committed a crime.

They, (Connie) has taken the liberty to use one of MY images that I have worked hard for. I spent the time, money and effort to produce my images. The original intent for this image was for the SWPC website, NOT for anything else! Period, unless I have given my sign off to such. Bottomline, I did not give the the convention chair my permission to use my images.

The symbol with the "c" inside a circle means copyright protected.

Peter Lubig
Aren't those available on the web site, Peter? Legal or not, it was extremely presumptive of her not to contact you to seek your approval.