Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

View RSS Feed

heysmith

PA 22/20 180 power settings

Rate this Entry
Merry Christmas to all!
I am new owner of N2502A a PA 22/20 with o-360: doing my PPL, does anyone have data on power settings for climb after take off; cruise setting? Thanks in advance fo any help.
steve
0 Thanks, 0 Likes
0 0

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My best advice is to go out with a good instructor and determine the speeds you seek. Each of our old birds behaves a little differently and consequently, what works for me, does for you only with some tweeks. Your engine is bigger than mine, your rigging even if perfect is different than mine. Has your aircraft had any airframe repairs? You guessed it! Probably different than mine. Nevermind pilot technique -- YMMV

I learned early to carry power on final because of the sink rate our short wings are famous for. So, go to altitude with your instructor, set a "floor" and then set up for takeoff, cruise, best glide, landing config and short final. Make notes with regard to speed, power settings, ascent & descent rates, etc

The short rule of thumb I learned from a crusty old instructor is "everything happens at 80 mph in that plane". Not entirely true but a good starting place to find out.

AL
    1 Thanks, 0 Likes
    1 0

Thanks I appreciate your suggestions and will work with my instructor. With vgs and wing tip extensions 70 is good approach speed
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes
    0 0

I would watch your CHT's on climb out and adjust power from that. Remember after 2500 RPM the carb will add more fuel to help cool the cylinders. So climbing at 2,400-2,500 rpm may actually increase CHT'S. Once you get used to the plane I would say 55 mph with some power is a much better short final speed. 70 mph on final is very fast!!
    DENNY
    1 Thanks, 0 Likes
    1 0

Congrats on your new plane!
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes
    0 0

Prop pitch will impact your climb, so start by checking what pitch you have. My 160 HP PA 22 has 61” pitch.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes
    0 0