Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 26 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

It is a pretty crazy notion that a person needs to talk to a lawyer because there was a minor equipment malfunction. It also sends a pretty good indication a person isn’t going to be able to only turn on the unit when entering controlled airspace. I wonder how many heads in the FAA would explode if everyone in GA refused to turn it on period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am lucky that don't live near airspace that needs a transponder. My Super Cub doesn't even have one. I guess you could always slide it out for maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Jeff J Just pulled up 14 CFR §91.225. While I can bet some may have received a letter
    §91.225 Does not apply until after (a) After January 1, 2020.
    So I bet the ones that received a letter were broadcasting bogus ( or bogus to the FAA) info. Such as data from the company in Texas that left the ADSB-OUT playing field. Or, if I want to turn it off today I may.
    Yet if I broadcast today, I best broadcast correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51-pa22 View Post
    So I bet the ones that received a letter were broadcasting bogus ( or bogus to the FAA) info... Yet if I broadcast today, I best broadcast correctly.
    I think these two sentences sum it up. If you are broadcasting it better be valid and correct information. I'm sure we will see lawsuits by owners if shops enter data incorrectly and the owner gets in trouble.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51-pa22 View Post
    @ Jeff J Just pulled up 14 CFR §91.225. While I can bet some may have received a letter
    §91.225 Does not apply until after (a) After January 1, 2020.
    So I bet the ones that received a letter were broadcasting bogus ( or bogus to the FAA) info. Such as data from the company in Texas that left the ADSB-OUT playing field. Or, if I want to turn it off today I may.
    Yet if I broadcast today, I best broadcast correctly.
    Call the AOPA legal team and argue it out with them. All I did was post a link to an article. I don’t believe I offered an opinion either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    ...I don’t believe I offered an opinion either way.
    Very happy with the Messenger and No shots fired from here across the Red River.

Just remembering the tuss with NavWorX and the Special AD the FAA sent out because they did not like one bit that was transmitted without their expresses approval. I also bet AD 2017-11-11 is more of this fallout.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went back and read 91.225 and I agree with the AOPA. Paragraph (f) does not have a date qualifier like the first couple of paragraphs and is very specific.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    It is a pretty crazy notion that a person needs to talk to a lawyer because there was a minor equipment malfunction. It also sends a pretty good indication a person isn’t going to be able to only turn on the unit when entering controlled airspace. I wonder how many heads in the FAA would explode if everyone in GA refused to turn it on period.
    I flew today and I made a simple mistake that IS a violation and would likely generate a letter from the FAA if I had ADS-B out equipped even though I did not climb above 2500 ft agl nor did I go near controlled airspace of any kind. What did I do? I forgot to switch my transponder from standby to alt before I took off. This is what we are facing with ADS-B.

Post Thanks / Like

I leave the transponder switch in ALT all the time at the recommendation of the control tower manager of the Class D airport 2 miles from our grass strip. They have a repeater off the Class B that over lies us so they can always see us.
    Works for me. 20 miles out of their space they will call me with traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s not a bad idea. My last transponder check wasn’t very good. It was 300 feet off when it powered on. As the heating element warmed up it slowly came into tolerance. It took a good 20 minutes.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is how easy it is going to be to catch the attention of the FAA with ADS-B reporting everything we are doing, intentional or not. Forget to turn on the transponder? Broadcasted and recorded (missing required altitude data). Want to do a low pass near a buddy’s house? Broadcasted and recorded (gps and altitude proof of “buzzing”). The FAA may or may not act on it but they will automatically have all the proof they need if they do.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 02-26-2018 at 10:29 PM.