Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

I installed the Stratus ESG certified in my Tripacer last fall. Purchased it from a local avionics shop for $500.00ff retail. Used RST Enginering web site for correct wording of 337 and continued airworthiness to the letter. It has specific wording that must be followed. Revised flight manual supplement was supplied by Stratus through the shop I purchased the radio. Performed weight and balance for transponder and antenna install on wing root. Flew plane to avionics shop for the transponder correspondence check. Flew the specific climbs and descents in Des Moines class C week later got my $500 from FAA. Reviewd my paperwork and install with my AI. He signed it off and mailed to OKC. Really a none event for me. Works Great! Oh, remote mounted my Stratus 2 under dash and cabled it to ESG with the prefabed cable from Stratus. It is now powered by ESG. fires up when I turn on the ESG. Picked the ESG because of my pre owned Stratus 2. My King KT 78 transponder Was very tired. Already Used ForeFlight for planning. Love the install. Prior to that I used the windows based program exclusively. I still look out the window but can’t believe all the close traffic that windows based program misses😅😅

John

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do with the KT78?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gilbert
    Sitting on shelf in basement.it worked when removed and wired for ACK encoder. Need it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    What did you do with the KT78?
    I've got a dead one sitting in my hangar, do you need it for parts?
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    GDL-82 installed, had to put the antenna on the wing root fairing to accomplish separation from the radio antenna. Installation was clean and from my perspective painless (A/I did the work for me). Still getting interference on one radio on all frequency ranges and second radio on the 131.*** band (antennas on separate sides of the fuselage). Any ideas on a solution? Manual says to move antenna, change radio, check for coax routing, use filters.

I haven’t had weather for the proving flight yet to finish the rebate, hopefully soon.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Proving flight complete! Other than the journey to 11,000’, it was painless. I flew the maneuvers as recommended by the FAA, but had to stay directly over the airport due to encroaching cloud deck (PASX field elevation is 113’. The descent was quite entertaining... practiced my slipping techniques... losing about 2,000 fpm.

All in all about 1.3 hours including warm up, and taxi. I must say however that if I never go to 11’000’ again, it will be too soon. My mission is more aligned with dodging trees and gravel bars.

I got home, fired up the iPad and had the requirements completed and the rebate virtually approved in less than 30 minutes. It was a good day!

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Looked at SkyBeacon’s tailbeacon’s install template, need 1.14” diameter hole, hole I have is less...wouldn’t fit unless hole enlarged...now looking at more expensive alternatives...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    Proving flight complete! Other than the journey to 11,000’, it was painless. I flew the maneuvers as recommended by the FAA, but had to stay directly over the airport due to encroaching cloud deck (PASX field elevation is 113’. The descent was quite entertaining... practiced my slipping techniques... losing about 2,000 fpm.

All in all about 1.3 hours including warm up, and taxi. I must say however that if I never go to 11’000’ again, it will be too soon. My mission is more aligned with dodging trees and gravel bars.

I got home, fired up the iPad and had the requirements completed and the rebate virtually approved in less than 30 minutes. It was a good day!

Holy crap...11K? Why so high?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

You have to fly the test in controlled airspace. If you are not close to B or C airspace you have to do the flight in Class E controlled airspace that in most places starts at 10,000’.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-24-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evezzetti View Post
    Looked at SkyBeacon’s tailbeacon’s install template, need 1.14” diameter hole, hole I have is less...wouldn’t fit unless hole enlarged...now looking at more expensive alternatives...
    I enlarged my tail light bracket hole for my strobes. I don't remember the diameter but I was figuring to make it fit even if I have to weld a larger bracket.

It also seems that in a fabric plane the Skybeacon should work fine bolted to the inside of the fuselage and not worry about the taillight bracket.
    Last edited by Stephen; 11-23-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Holy crap...11K? Why so high?

Greg
    My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately Alaska’s ADSB network is marginal at best. We only have Anchorage for Class C which is about a 40 minute flight to get there. The proving flight had to be accomplished in ruled airspace. The only ruled airspace nearby is Class E above 10,000.