Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

Since the right wing is a duplicate of the left I won't post as many photos. I got the right spars cut, drilled for fittings, epoxy primed spars, fittings, and ribs. Assembled the fittings and ribs onto the spars. Then I welded up the compression struts and epoxy primed them. Once these were installed I got the drag wires in and trammeled the wing square. The ribs and nose ribs were then riveted into position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update. I made the drag tube and got it mounted in the wing. Installed the fuel tank straps. Notched out and fitted the 3 leading edge sections and the 2 false spar sections and started lining up the aileron to the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Work on the wing has been going a little slow lately but I did manage to disassemble the leading edge, false spar, drag tube, and the aileron hinge bracket. I cleaned them up, epoxy primed everything, and then did the final install back on the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

I continued work on the right wing by gluing down the felt for the fuel tank straps, cutting and fitting all the angle supports for the fuel tank cover. Then I made the bottom aluminum skin behind rear spar with the inspection panel for connecting aileron cables. I cut out and installed the U channel braces for the top rib at the fuel tank and butt rib. I made the false spar supports and fitted them in place. My goal is to finish wing and get fuselage back into shop before winter, which I think is doable.

Post Thanks / Like

So after a couple months of busy life, I finished up the right wing. Got the wing tip U channel and end leading edge in. Fought with the fuel tank for awhile, made tank cover and cable guides. Got everything epoxy primed and put together.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed looking at your photos. I’m building a Wagabond too and I was wondering what this was for? 3F5E0E6F-A952-466A-BB3C-70F60028F01E.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

That is the support for the inspection panel on the tail. These are pics off my J3 build. J3 thru PA12 uses these and wag aero has it in the plans for the vag a bond. Sorry for the delay on the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got the fuselage moved back to my home shop from the airport. I epoxy primed the stringers and some other small parts that needed painting. I then cleaned and taped off the front fuselage tubes and got them painted. The stringers were installed on the fuselage when dry. I installed the rudder and elevator pulleys on the fuselage, along with the aileron and rudder fairleads. I trimmed up my patterns for the floorboards and cut out the first one. Question is should I attach felt or insulation or thin rubber under the floor boards where the tubes touch or just leave it bare aluminum. Looking for what people have done. I'm concerned felt with hold moisture on the tubes or anything I glue underneath will eventually fall off over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Rest of the photos. I also assembled the rudder bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Piper used an SAE50 felt and over all the years of working on and disassembling rag and tube Pipers I don't recall ever seeing any corrosion adjacent to the felt in either steel or aluminum.