Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Parking Brake not holding

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Parking Brake not holding

Not sure what you have read thus far but merged your thread with this one with lots of documentation on rebuilding the valve.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been meaning to post this for a while now; I guess now is a good time.
    The parts catalog shows the Hoof valve was installed on some later aircraft rather than the Scott, and that's what we have on our Colt.
    There are three o-rings as shown below:

Post.jpg

The smaller ones that go on the shaft are AS568-006 size (.114 ID X .254 OD X .070 CROSS SECTION); in BunaN part numbers = AN6227B-1 or MS28775-006 or 9452K14.
    The larger one to seal the fitting is AS568-015 size (.551 ID X .691 OD X .070 CROSS SECTION); in BunaN part numbers = 05-04646 or MS28775-015 or 9452K5.

Hope that's of some help.

Tim
    Last edited by bluejeepdad; 04-17-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim,
    also I was taught not to pull the parking break to hard, pulling harder doesn’t give any breaking action, all you need to do is move the valve which locks the fluid in the break lines. Pulling to hard can destroy a o ring and cause parking break failure.

I know some of this thread is older but none the less important. If my break weren’t holding well I would note how much play in the break handle. If there is I would check the fluid level and add as necessary. To much and your breaks will drag. If still not holding you better check the pads, and rotors if you have them. If you still using drum breaks there are other components besides the pads that wear out degrading break performance.