Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rubbert Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rubbert Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Easy to inspect visually, no disassembly required. Look up the tail pipe and in the shroud, Sign it off and done. Dumb for sure, different design, materials etc but the world we live in if they do not have an AMOC. You have to field approve this system on a Pacer or Clipper anyway so I would wright the AMOC into the field approval or better yet use the Sutton that has an AMOC and has been field approved countless times on the two airplanes.
    The AMOC has to come from the ACO and the Field Approval from the FSDO or a DAR. You can’t write the AMOC into the Field Approval unless you have an ACO assisted Field Approval. Best to get your Field Approval then apply to the ACO to get the AMOC based on the configuration change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    The AMOC has to come from the ACO and the Field Approval from the FSDO or a DAR. You can’t write the AMOC into the Field Approval unless you have an ACO assisted Field Approval. Best to get your Field Approval then apply to the ACO to get the AMOC based on the configuration change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, just like a Flight Manual Supplement. Tried to do a deviation to an STC via Field Approval and the FSDO said I couldn't do it because it required a Flight Manual Supplement. I said Ok and hung up. Called the ACO and they said "we will approve that, here is the form". Called the FSDO back, they are pissed. "You can't go to the ACO that has to go through us." I said "well maybe if you had volunteered that information and I might have done it that way. Here is the engineer's contact that will approve what you said I needed, thank you." Years later a mechanic called the FAA on me for installing a Hawker battery in a Maule. After berating me for quite some time I asked if he looked up what I quoted, he had not. He asked me if I had a good rapport with the FSDO, I thought for a minute and told him "They know who I am". In the end I got my deviation to a field approval and they agreed with me on how I had installed the battery. You just gotta wade through all the garbage. We just complete noise testing on the Sensenich Ground Adjustable prop. Took 6 engineers to do it and some comments from the FAA engineers that I would have to tell you about around a camp fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Easy to inspect visually, no disassembly required. Look up the tail pipe and in the shroud, Sign it off and done. Dumb for sure, different design, materials etc but the world we live in if they do not have an AMOC. You have to field approve this system on a Pacer or Clipper anyway so I would wright the AMOC into the field approval or better yet use the Sutton that has an AMOC and has been field approved countless times on the two airplanes.
    The Rubbert system is STCed for the PA22/20. That’s the main reason I got it. Field approvals are really tough to get in my area. No one even wanted to attempt it.

Secondary reason is I actually ordered a Sutton, but their new welding company last year was not doing a very good job, pipes were off ~1/4” at the stacks. Even with everything loose it was not going on without some heat and bending. See the pic below. The pipes were on on the other side, but it was too narrow. So I returned it.

IMG_1579.jpeg
    Last edited by moto657; 05-30-2023 at 02:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    The Rubbert system is STCed for the PA22/20. That’s the main reason I got it. Field approvals are really tough to get in my area. No one even wanted to attempt it.

Secondary reason is I actually ordered a Sutton, but their new welding company last year was not doing a very good job, pipes were off ~1/4” at the stacks. Even with everything loose it was not going on without some heat and bending. So I returned it.
    Good to know on both counts.