Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Wing tanks in a Vagabond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wing tanks in a Vagabond

I have a 6 gallon Stoddard tank that I removed from a PA-16 wing and was stamped on the tank that it was for a PA-15, PA-16, PA-17, but there was no paperwork in the aircraft records that it was installed in and it was never hooked up. It was just installed in the wing with no connections.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use previously approved 337s as acceptable data to get another field approval.

Cub Crafters owns the Stoddard STCs but they have no parts etc. Call Vera and you might can get some sort of documentation for you Stoddard tank.

Post Thanks / Like

With you N number we can look up your history at the FAA. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I called Cub Crafters a few years back and was told they would look for the information, but I never got a response. I assume they were busy and this was hardly a priority.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a STC with this tank which is a 12 gallon., it sat is someones hanger for years unopened. It came from WagAero with approved STC still in the boxes. I got 2 of them but only installing one. Now if I could get a 337 for exactly the same type airplane, a PA17 Vagabond not a PA15 or anything else or any size besides a 12 gallon tank I would be golden. Thank you guys. Also if someone has a PA17 out there that is complete I sure could use some help showing me where the cables come out of the covered fuselage exactly where the leather patch covers the exit cut, pictures are great but exact dimensions from the horizontal stabilizer forward and the top longeron down or bottom longeron up location that would be wonderful. I am not being a smart butt here but only the types in bold will work for me, please understand I appreciate all the help so far but I need what the mechanic says I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
    I called Cub Crafters a few years back and was told they would look for the information, but I never got a response. I assume they were busy and this was hardly a priority.
    Talk to Vera and tell her I I referred you, it might help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I got a STC with this tank which is a 12 gallon., it sat is someones hanger for years unopened. It came from WagAero with approved STC still in the boxes. I got 2 of them but only installing one. Now if I could get a 337 for exactly the same type airplane, a PA17 Vagabond not a PA15 or anything else or any size besides a 12 gallon tank I would be golden. Thank you guys. Also if someone has a PA17 out there that is complete I sure could use some help showing me where the cables come out of the covered fuselage exactly where the leather patch covers the exit cut, pictures are great but exact dimensions from the horizontal stabilizer forward and the top longeron down or bottom longeron up location that would be wonderful. I am not being a smart butt here but only the types in bold will work for me, please understand I appreciate all the help so far but I need what the mechanic says I need.
    I looked at drawing 11646 on the Vagabond drawing CD and it gives dimensions for the inspection grommets and can kinda tell where the rudder cable exits. If you don't have the fuselage fabric on yet you might assemble and do some measuring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Rather than using someone else’s 337 as supporting documentation, why don’t you just break down and get a DER 8110-3 approval for what you want to do? No need to go begging to FAA for a field approval then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Rather than using someone else’s 337 as supporting documentation, why don’t you just break down and get a DER 8110-3 approval for what you want to do? No need to go begging to FAA for a field approval then.

What would that cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What would that cost?
    It really depends on how much work I need to put into it. If the client provides a well documented package with correct references and citations, could be as little as $50 for the 1/2 hour it takes me to puta cover sheet on it and fill out the 8110-3.

If I need to do all the research and make drawings and a report that takes a lot of time. I bill out at $100 an hour. Most of the approvals I’ve done run under $500. It really depends on what I get and how much work it takes to put it not an acceptable format.

If it is something that I can replicate, then I’ll prorate it. I’ve been doing total loss J3 electrical systems for $50. Took a while to get the first one done, but pretty easy to just make some small changes and print out a new one for a different N#.