Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Shortwing! (Pictures)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Show us your Shortwing! (Pictures)

After a year of learning all about my 1960 PA-22-150, and replacing anything that was questionable while reassembling her during the annual, I finally brought her home from the Texas panhandle to Kansas City early Thanksgiving afternoon. She has 1,160 TTA&E, and handles beautifully. Caught a nice tailwind across Kansas and held a groundspeed between 146-152 knots with 112 knots indicated. Very happy to be a Tri-Pacer owner! Here's a pic of my oldest son and I after landing in Kansas City.
    IMG_1055.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats, Where was it in the panhandle?

Post Thanks / Like

Hemphill County Airport in Canadian, TX. Just checked the oil. I burned just over half a quart with about three hours of run time...does that sound about right?
    FullSizeRender (23).jpgFullSizeRender (24).jpgIMG_1052.jpg

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by rmwalkersr View Post
    Hemphill County Airport in Canadian, TX. Just checked the oil. I burned just over half a quart with about three hours of run time...does that sound about right?
    FullSizeRender (23).jpgFullSizeRender (24).jpgIMG_1052.jpg
    What was your oil level dipstick before you left?? I find if you place over 6 quarts the first quart blows out within the first few hours and stabilizes between 5 and 6. One engine I I have uses one litre every 12 hours and the second plane uses one litre every 8 hours. So your not doing bad at 1/2 quart for 3 hours. Also check the oil level once the engine cools down and the oil has had a chance to leak back into the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

I started right at 6 quarts, and ended up right at 5 1/3 quarts. Didn't know what to expect. I'll check it again cold this afternoon. Have to fly to Grande Prairie, AB, CA next month, and plan to visit my Mom in Tacoma, WA, then my sister in Medford, OR before returning to KC/Iowa...so I'll be flying quite a bit to get to know her in all weather. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the many things that I liked about my new bird (tentatively named "Freebird" ... knowing, of course, that she will continue to drain my checking account...but that she is paid-for, and more for the feeling that I get every time I take to the sky), is that this is the first time that I've actually experienced book performance numbers. Indicated 112 knots (110-115) cruise at around 9 gph. Pleasant surprise. Oh yeah...and also the careful rigging that gave me a hands-off flying experience. I've begun to see what you've all been bragging about for a year. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmwalkersr View Post
    I started right at 6 quarts, and ended up right at 5 1/3 quarts. Didn't know what to expect. I'll check it again cold this afternoon. Have to fly to Grande Prairie, AB, CA next month, and plan to visit my Mom in Tacoma, WA, then my sister in Medford, OR before returning to KC/Iowa...so I'll be flying quite a bit to get to know her in all weather. Thanks!
    If you are flying anywhere near Red Deer,AB. drop in for a visit-
    my PA22 is seven miles south of YQF at CEM4( Innisfail,AB)

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my 1963 Colt. It was restored in 2004 by a previous owner. It's a blast to go sight seeing around the neighborhood or across the country. I've flown from SW Missouri to South Carolina and back. It's an economical way to get around!

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beautiful bird!

Post Thanks / Like

Where were you all back in 1992? I could have had much more fun flying over the past 24 years!
    Instead I've owned a Cherokee 140, a 180, a couple of Cessna 150's, and a Bellanca 260hp Viking. All fine planes, buy I LOVE flying my '60 PA-22-150!
    Perhaps if I had gone to Oshkosh prior to this year...but...the important thing is I'm sure having fun NOW! Very glad to have joined you all!