Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jack Screw movement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jack Screw movement

Steve, from a post last August, 2022 you said, “Another place I see play in between the two stabilizers where they are bolted to the liner tube. The play is between the steel tube with the ears and the stabilizers. You can see the liner tube if you move the stabs back and forth. I twist a piece of safety wire in that gap for an easy fix. ” My IA tugged in and out on my stabilizer today and was able to get about 1/16” play primarily out of the left tube not so much the right. He was thinking of fabricating a shim to take up the side play. There is plenty of discussion on stab trim screw and yoke play but I have found zip except for your one comment about using safety wire to fill the gap. Any thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The tube floats so you should see the same play on either side. It is easy to twist a piece of safety wire in there. Installing a shim would require removing the elevator and stabilizer on one side. Quite a time consuming task. This video is on inspecting the Super Cub but the installation is identical on the Short Wing aircraft.
    https://www.youtube.com/live/-tfi-y7dcxQ?feature=share
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 06-14-2023 at 07:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve’s videos are outstanding and a wealth information. I’ve owned my plane for 25 years but still learning new things. Thank you Steve.