Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Odyssey Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Odyssey Battery..

I am considering installing a Odyssey battery. I seem to go through the Gill type. Does anyone know which model of Odyssey would be needed for a Pacer? I do not have the dimensions of my battery box nearby. I have a 1951 Pacer, original box unmodified. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Odyssey Battery..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Odyssey Battery

You won't be bored tonight. I merged your thread with one with probably everything you ever wanted to know about the Odyssey/Hawker battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Read all 223 posts. Test follows.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good time to swap out the G35 for an Odyssey for the funny nose TriPacer.
    Since it uses a stock PA22 battery box and G35 battery it should work well with Hawker J16.
    Thanks @Clayton Harper for the reminder. Another 13lbs off the nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Kicking this old thread. I just ordered the Svenn's STC for the Hawker and ordered the battery. $155 + $189 respectively = $344.00. Replacing my 5 year old AGM battery that did not want to hot start a week ago after filling with gas. I couldn't imagine trying to prop my PA22-150 with 74 psi on the lowest cylinder at that moment. My toe brakes don't have a really reliable emergency brake feel. It trips off too easy. Never done it, hand propping, that is, and don't care to ever try. And, I have 620 skydives. 500+ scuba dives. Rock climbed Yosemite for years. Now I'm old-er... so, I guess I'm saying I measure and think about risk. I have copper cables and still have the original starter box with Master switch fuses under my front seat. Stock starter. Stock original rebuilt generator and new, but original type mechanical contact voltage regulator. 2815 total hours on plane and less than 260 hrs since major overhaul when starter, generator and vr were rebuilt and replaced. Anyway, the Hawker SBS J16 sounds great, and I'm going to install it in my stock battery box per the STC and will update you all in a couple months on issues and performance. It should all arrive in the next 7 days and I'll get it installed within a week or two of that.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to add a Zeftronics solid state voltage regulator.
    On my PA22-150, I installed the SBS-J16 and upgraded the starter box per the STC, and replaced the aluminum battery/starter cables with new copper cables, it was a good investment and has improved starting significantly.
    I still need to add a ground cable from the battery ground point to the starter, that will be a further improvement.
    With respect to hand propping, it isn't difficult but of course you should be taught by a trusted, qualified mechanic/pilot who is experienced in doing it and teaching it.
    Keeping a 50' roll of 1/4" nylon rope in the plane is handy to tie the tail to a fence etc for hand propping if you're alone, weak brakes, on gravel, sand, wet grass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should have posted my battery installation feedback here, so even tho' redundant, I'll summarize again. I put in the Hawker, but still cranked over hard/slow. Suspicious my starter is the real culprit. Here's a pic: IMG_5178.JPG It started, but slow blade over on first blade, then lit right off. Went flying for an hour to charge the new Hawker. Looking at installing a Sky Tec 122-NL starter now. Pricey at $790. from Spruce. Maybe I should charge the new Hawker once, clean all my wire contacts out to the starter and back before ordering a new starter. I was going to get a new starter 3 years ago, but cleaned the contacts and it's been good till now. Don't know how to test a starter motor really. The bendix engages fine, but the motor just hesitates/nearly stops on the first blade top dead center. Any ideas for sorting out that? Don't want to bend this thread. Will search on "starting issues" on this site.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 122-NL and that battery. Neither solved my problem...replaced my battery cable and the whole system has been perfect ever since. If you have good cables, then that battery is plenty, it cranks my 122-NL without trouble at any temperature.

Post Thanks / Like

Subsonic, I read in your other thread (battery box vents) that you had 12.2 volts on your J16 battery. If that was measured at the battery, and your meter is believable, that's not enough. Most charts will show a fully-charged 12V battery to be 12.6 or higher; 12.2 is only 55-65% charged, depending on which chart you look at. I'd be charging my battery first --and then checking other connections-- before giving up on the starter.