Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    A question: I have a 4-cylinder CHT gauge that was given to me, but unfortunately only works on 3 cylinders and Aerospace Logic says it's too old for repair. So the question is -- would a 4-cylinder CHT gauge be a worthwhile investment? (I have only the single-cylinder CHT that came with the plane.) It appears a current Aerospace Logic gauge would be about $1K. Should I consider this? At least my "new" engine has CHT taps in the cylinders!

Walt
    I would say yes. Also, good news about continuing the rebuild!!

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a CHT. Any specific recommendations as to CHT, CHT/EGT (more $$$ - necessary?), brand (Aerospace Logic or other)? I'd be very interested in hearing what others have done.

Thanks, Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Electronics International is my choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Walt, I’ve got an EI EGT/CHT/OAT gauge. It’s got a single window and a rotary switch to cycle through the cylinders.

It came out of my experimental so I don’t know if you can use it, and it may need some new wiring. It’s yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess my next question is, what's the meaning of "Primary" vs. "Non-Primary" instruments? I'd be replacing the existing CHT gauge. Are EI "non-primary" gauges legal to use in my PA-22?

Tom, if it can be used in my plane, and if it can be installed with bayonet-style taps -- new engine has those sockets-- I'd be interested. Question, however: is that for only a single cylinder?

PS -- Visited my older brother in 1966 -- he was at Redstone then, learning how to fix Nike guidance systems. The red dirt down there really threw me!
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 03-15-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess my next question is, what's the meaning of "Primary" vs. "Non-Primary" instruments? I'd be replacing the existing CHT gauge. Are EI "non-primary" gauges legal to use in my PA-22?

Tom, if it can be used in my plane, and if it can be installed with bayonet-style taps -- new engine has those sockets-- I'd be interested. Question, however: is that for only a single cylinder?

PS -- Visited my older brother in 1966 -- he was at Redstone then, learning how to fix Nike guidance systems. The red dirt down there really threw me!
    Looks like this:

It’s a single gauge with a rotary switch to see each cylinder. But only displays one at a time.

Bayonet probes.

Post Thanks / Like

And it works, on all 4 cylinders? Yes! I'd love to have that! That's what I was figuring to order. PM me or use my email -- stubby57a@gmail.com

And thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

And it works, on all 4 cylinders? Yes! I'd love to have that! That's what I was figuring to order. PM me or use my email -- stubby57a@gmail.com

And thanks!
    It worked fine when I removed it. I had lost my tach and my oil temp gauge so I went with a digital engine monitor that had its own CHT/EGT display.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our airplanes did not come with factory installed CHT gauges and are not called out by the Type Certificate Data Sheet so do not require a primary instrument.

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot, if that’s the case then I’ve got an MGL Vega TC-4 (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5254) 4cylinder CHT/EGT gauge I can sell for $200 plus shipping. I bought it to see all 4cylinders at once but lost the tach/oil temp before I could install it and went with a full GEM vs just the CHT/EGT.