Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-22 fuel sending unit gasket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 fuel sending unit gasket

Jim,
    The screws are #10-32 screws and the tank gaskets are available from multiple PMAed sources for a buck or 2.

51-pa22
    smokin.gif
    Last edited by 51-pa22; 11-23-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Fat finger typo on "The screws are"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Jim! He only had the five in stock. If you're ready for the gaskets right away, I'd be happy to wait and send you mine now. In reality, it'll probably be weeks before I get to mine, I was just planning ahead.

OTOH, 51-pa22 is right: Univair, for example, sells the gasket alone for a bit over $2; they just don't have those cute rubber or rubberized screw washers.

Also, while talking to Matt at CG, he was pretty certain the original gaskets were cork, and surmised that the -021 part number refers to the "new" rubber ones.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Sorry, Jim! He only had the five in stock. If you're ready for the gaskets right away, I'd be happy to wait and send you mine now. In reality, it'll probably be weeks before I get to mine, I was just planning ahead.

OTOH, 51-pa22 is right: Univair, for example, sells the gasket alone for a bit over $2; they just don't have those cute rubber or rubberized screw washers.

Also, while talking to Matt at CG, he was pretty certain the original gaskets were cork, and surmised that the -021 part number refers to the "new" rubber ones.

Walt
    I already have one new gasket and one newly installed. One sender has split washers and one has stars. I can hit Ace for the rubber washers based on the comments above. Already have an order going together for A/C Spruce that I will add the screws to, might just order one more gasket so that I've got two new ones. Overall, cost will be about the same or a little less (MS35207-263 is $.07 each).

Thanks for the offer Walt, but I won't have everything here for a couple days and I'm working all of Thanksgiving week except part of the actual holiday, might not even make it home if the weather stinks. I think poor Matt was just swamped by this, he probably hasn't sold more than two of those at a time in years and then have requests for nine in two days!

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

OK, Jim, I'll hang on to mine. Received them today; I can see why the washers are "special"; they're dished, with rubber bonded to the concave surface. Screws appear to be standard AN stainless round-head phillips with 10-32 threads. Gasket was probably die-cut out of 1/16" rubber. Here's what they look like:

DSC05468.jpgDSC05469.jpgDSC05470.jpg

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

I do not believe that the factory used those washer originally - but I am sure they work fine and the are available at your local Ace Hardware- ACE - we call that "Aircraft Certified Equipment" LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    OK, Jim, I'll hang on to mine. Received them today; I can see why the washers are "special"; they're dished, with rubber bonded to the concave surface. Screws appear to be standard AN stainless round-head phillips with 10-32 threads. Gasket was probably die-cut out of 1/16" rubber. Here's what they look like:

DSC05468.jpgDSC05469.jpgDSC05470.jpg

Walt
    Thanks for the info Walt, interesting. I was going to buy MS35207 standard screws, any reason why stainless would be better or worse? Obviously not a big structural issue, cost is about double for stainless. (13 cents vs. 7 cents) (If you don't know, the smiley face denotes sarcasm.)

Jim
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Pacer 24C-- You're right; my sending units & screws, which appear to be original, don't look like they have those washers under the slotted-head screws. And, judging from the rusty appearance of those screws on my plane, yes, I'll prefer & use the stainless ones, Jim.

Having now seen those washers, I can see that their operating principle would probably be the same as the screw/washer combos that are used on metal roofing: as the screw is turned in against the dished washer, the rubber gets smooshed (is that a word?) against the outside diameter of the screw for a good seal. I wonder if those washers came into being when the gasket changed from cork to rubber; in any case, seems like good insurance. Perhaps the washers by themselves can be found somewhere.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me like I found the sender gaskets at the National Airplane Parts Association (NAPA) several years ago. They were listed for the same application on a Ford so I am sure they were meant to be used on the Tri-Motor
    Another option is to use the owner produced parts route and cut one out.

Jeff
    (Disclaimer: I said I found them, not used them nor can I recommend using them even though they are most likely made at the same factory using the same material)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody!
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I put # 2 Permatex on the screws before installing them. My fuel sender has been leak free for 14 years.
    Well my permatex has failed. Gasket not leaking but seeps around the screw heads. More fun.