Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

I used to hang out with a bunch of docs - one owned a brand new cirrus that he had to take somewhere for maintenance...
    I said sure I will pick you up. Pulled up in the PA22, he looked kind of funny.
    But he got in. We took off, he was holding on to the door handle and jiggling it saying where is the LOCK??!!
    I told him to let go and it would be fine. Lucky for me the door remained shut. He was seat belted in but he just couldn't accept the old instruments, fabric, etc. Pretty much a nervous wreck the flight home.

I used to fly a bunch of young eagles...
    when it was a larger event with many planes, I would walk into the FBO to collect my passengers. We would look at a map and at weather and then go to the aircraft. While walking down the flightline, passing cherokees and cessnas , I would continue toward my ragged little plane, and the kids would be looking over their shoulders at
    a mooney and you could see them wondering why they were not in those shiny metal planes. I would introduce
    them to my plane and ask if they knew what it was constructed of. I actually had one refusal when I told them it was fabric.
    But all who flew had a good time. Several went on to flying careers - military and civilian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree that I live in the sticks and it is pretty cheap living. My real point was that there are choices you can make to make flying a lot more affordable and with what a short Wing Piper can do for the money you are already half way there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I used to hang out with a bunch of docs - one owned a brand new cirrus that he had to take somewhere for maintenance...
    I said sure I will pick you up. Pulled up in the PA22, he looked kind of funny.
    But he got in. We took off, he was holding on to the door handle and jiggling it saying where is the LOCK??!!
    I told him to let go and it would be fine. Lucky for me the door remained shut. He was seat belted in but he just couldn't accept the old instruments, fabric, etc. Pretty much a nervous wreck the flight home.

when it was a larger event with many planes, I would walk into the FBO to collect my passengers. We would look at a map and at weather and then go to the aircraft. While walking down the flightline, passing cherokees and cessnas , I would continue toward my ragged little plane, and the kids would be looking over their shoulders at
    a mooney and you could see them wondering why they were not in those shiny metal planes. I would introduce
    them to my plane and ask if they knew what it was constructed of. I actually had one refusal when I told them it was fabric.
    But all who flew had a good time. Several went on to flying careers - military and civilian
    My wife picked up an airline pilot at his home airport in her Tri-Pacer to pick up his Pitts at our airport. I got in the back seat and he was white knuckling the whole time. I got a huge chuckle out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Opposite experience with Young Eagles. I have watched them on line looking at airplanes and seeing their eyes light up and say "I want to fly in the Red one."

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    My wife picked up an airline pilot at his home airport in her Tri-Pacer to pick up his Pitts at our airport. I got in the back seat and he was white knuckling the whole time. I got a huge chuckle out of it.
    We have local dr dentist in Pa that swears the only safe plane is a Pipistrel. It can glide forever if the snow machine engine quits and event the wing falls off you can deploy the parachute. We fly death traps and are a liability... I just can't stand him, but he gives the local industry something to laugh about. His plane is five years old so he sold it and had to buy the new best Pipistrel. As for the plane itself you can't haul nothing it's only a two seater and costs more then most average houses.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Opposite experience with Young Eagles. I have watched them on line looking at airplanes and seeing their eyes light up and say "I want to fly in the Red one."
    Gilbert everyone wants to fly your red plane

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Gilbert, if I saw your plane I would want the red one too. Maybe one day my plane will be as pretty as yours.
    Until then, I will just park a bit further down the line so we don't draw too many comparisons.

If anyone judges my plane, I respectfully request they use the 20 foot rule.

Post Thanks / Like

....ssnipped....
    I do not participate in Y.E. flights any longer. IMHO, the EAA's philosophy of "show up and get a ride" is contributing to the "instant gratification" mentality of today's youth. I suggested to my chapter that we begin a series of seminars that include career information, theory of flight, basic aeronautical knowledge, etc. In order to get to the ride, the kids had to have attended all the prerequisites. However, we just continued doing things the same way...Here is your free hot dog, Twinkie, and plane ride. And, you could tell that the kid's priorities were just about in that order!
    Another wet blanket on the fun of flying for me was the complete lack of disrespect of our planes, and the effort expended by the pilots to do the rides. This disrespect was not just from the little ingrates, but their parents, too. I had a similar event as you experienced. A young boy who was assigned to fly with me, was brought out with the group of kids and their parents. When the kid realized he was going with me, he began to pitch a fit because he wanted to ride in....wait for it!... the CIRRUS! His loudmouth Mom pops off with...Why does my son have to ride in the "old piece of junk"?! Needless to say, it took all my willpower to keep my mouth closed and let my more tactful EAA members deal with the issue.
    The final straw for me was when I had to spend about 4 hours fixing damage to my plane caused by another Game Boy playing Twinkie eater. No more!
    The Y.E. Program just facilitates the "what have you done for me today" mentality. The kids have no skin in the game, and that philosophy has made it's way into aviation careers. Believe me, the applicant pool truly drying up would be a boon to those of us that busted our ass to make it, respect the profession and those that paved the way, and demand that those coming behind us do the same! Too many from the "Barbie and Ken School of Aeronautics" that are all hat...no cowboy!
    Last edited by pa20; 04-17-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Had 2 "final straws"!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Gilbert, if I saw your plane I would want the red one too. Maybe one day my plane will be as pretty as yours.
    Until then, I will just park a bit further down the line so we don't draw too many comparisons.

If anyone judges my plane, I respectfully request they use the 20 foot rule.
    During the few occasions that I have been fortunate to be in the same locale as Gilbert and Barbara, I am always glad that Red Lady is a PA-16! The judges can't use it to skew the curve! My Pacer is not a slouch, but come on!
    Mark Ohlau

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this yesterday on Judy Birchler's LLT Facebook page. Now this is a young lady who not only has passion, but has skin in the game! You can bet that she is not lugging her Game Boy and a box of Twinkies when it is time to go flying!
    http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.co...next-einstein/
    Mark Ohlau