Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

Thanks Moto657, Excellent - I'll research rotors for my Cleveland 40-97D wheels and Rapco RA164-02601 Rotors
    I find myself in the same position this morning. How did it work out for you da737? I bought the stock rotors friday and with new brake pads my 26 inch goodyears are rubbing.
    I hope the rapco rotor will work

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have ordered the Rapco 164-03300 discs. After changing brake shoes I have rubbing on the inner tire on Goodyear 26's. I am hoping the discs will solve the issue but I am guessing I will also need longer pins for the brake caliper. Does anyone know if a 30-63 Q Cleveland single puck caliper has tapered pins or strait?
    Is it possible to flip the caliper bracket and put the longer side inboard ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Installed the Rapco 164-03300 discs last night . These are the disc to use for 26 inch GY’s without using spacers . My distance between the tire and rotor are good now . Still wondering if I need longer pins or if flipping the bracket around will work

Stock pins with the new disc

813AFAAD-4146-4CC7-BE55-CF2C827935F3.jpeg

Do I have enough pin engaged to be good ? Or do I need a longer pin ?

The disc with the bracket flipped

1038F1E3-7BB3-4DFB-BC9B-76151172D222.jpeg

Looks good now with the bracket flipped and new pads but as the pads wear am I running the risk of popping out the piston if the travel is too far ? It is floating but can only go in toward the tire about an 1/8 of an inch

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How much pin engagement with the torque plate flipped the correct way and new pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The new disc is moved1/4 of an inch further inboard from the inboard wheel face . So I lost 1/4 inch depth in the chase for the pins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Measure how much of the pin in engaged in the torque plate bushing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had the I/A look it over. Also a Pacer owner. Looks good. Did not get a measurement of how much pin is engaged . Lots of tire clearance now. Also done with my first owner assisted annual !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    Finally got everything installed and a moment to follow up here. With my set up, Univair gear, Univair dual puck brake kit, and Cleveland 40-84 wheels, the 164-03300 rotors worked out perfectly to create clearence between the Aero Classic 8.50s and Caliper.
    Attachment 17670

My plane had 3 spacers between the flange on the gear and the torque plate. (Note, I spoke to Univair and the standard set up with double puck brake kit is 2 spacers.) Total thickness 0.30 in. The same as the difference in rotor offset between the 164-01900 and 164-03300
    Attachment 17671
    Attachment 17672Attachment 17673

I removed all of the spacers and replaced the torque plate to gear bolts with shorter ones. This kept the relationship of the Caliper to rotor, and Caliper Pin engagement the same as it had been on my plane with an additional 0.30in of tire to caliper clearence.

The Rappco rotors are very nice looking and have a nickel plating, so you do not need to paint them. Note that in their application guide the 164-03300 rotor is only specified for the 40-84 wheel. The application is for a PA-25.
    Attachment 17675
    Attachment 17674

I spoke with ABI about the rotor spacers and they said they were for the 40-65 and 40-70 Cleveland Wheel. They "think it will fit" the 40-84 wheel. Also to get 0.25in of offset you have to stack 2 spacers. So in my case the replacement rotors were a cleaner install, no spacers on the rotor or the torque plate, and cheaper. Do your research and confirm what will work best for your set up, though. No 2 planes are exactly the same.
    I am working on the same installation on my plane at the moment. Do you recall the length of the U1105-xx axle spacers you used?

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    I am working on the same installation on my plane at the moment. Do you recall the length of the U1105-xx axle spacers you used?

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Sorry, I did not change anything with the spacers so I didn't pay alot of attention to them.

I have no spacers on the inside of the wheel. And one spacer, plus the threaded retainer on the outside.

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished installing Cleveland Wheels and Brakes on my Pacer. I wanted to document the list of parts used so that others will have the information in the future. I used the Cleveland 40-84 Wheels, Rapco RA162-03300 brake discs, Cleveland 30-41B Brakes, 75-29 Torque Plates, U1105-05 INBD Axle spacer (1.53"), U1105-10 (.48") OUTBD axle spacer. I spent a fair amount of time tracking all of this information down before installing so I hope it will same someone some time in the future. The tires in the pictures are 8.50x6 with plenty of caliper to tire clearance.
    IMG_4923.jpgIMG_4924.jpgIMG_4925.jpgIMG_4926.jpgIMG_4927.jpg
    Last edited by cozzmo81; 01-10-2021 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added information