Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: A field repair.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default A field repair.....

Can't believe they did this, but they did...

https://youtu.be/k0TgiF63RFA

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A field repair.....

I guess, nothing a role of duct tape and some climbing rope can fix. I wonder who signed off on that field repair.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Long as there is enough spar material to hold it up after bending it up and the rope doesn't break or knots come undone who cares if it collapses on landing, you made it home...duh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post

TonyN
    No videos or pictures.... I have seen worse....

Years ago... Friend of mine bootlegged a Lycoming 540 on a Stinson 108-2... Took it to AK and was flying in and out of a remote river bar near Fairbanks, taking in guys to fish... River was getting flooded, had the axle bolt break and spin the axle ripping the brake calipers away.. No where to go but sideways into the water... Took off all but about 12 inches of the inboard aileron... He cut it off the wing tip with a meat saw, FLEW IT without the wing tip to Fairbanks... Took full right rudder to keep somewhat straight... At Fairbanks took PVC pipe, slid it against the spars, got a bunch of junk sheet metal from the salvage yard.. Made a wing tip.. Safety wire, zip ties, duct tape... FLEW IT from Fairbanks to Anchorage... Fabed wing tip started to bend upwards in turbulence... punched a couple holes in the fabed tip near the tip and ran rope from the tip to the fuselage step to give it flying "wires" and keep the tip from folding... Snuck out of Anchorage (FEDS were on to him by now) ... FLEW IT down the coast to avoid Canada airspace all the way to my place in Southern Oregon... Airplane got parted... Friend lost his PPL for a year... Giant Ass Brass Balls...

Unfortunately Friend now has Parkinson's... That adventure with the Stinson was 30, maybe 35 years ago now.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Best crazy flying story I have heard, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post

TonyN
    I think that is more common than most people think. The Big Rocks and Long Props videos, and lots of social media postings from pilots, show all the successful days in all their amazingness. But people that operate that close to the margins don't always have successful days. I hear rumblings of similar events in my corner of the world a couple times a year if not more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the cool YouTube videos is what motivated me to make this video because I have been privy to a lot of their accidents that don't get publicized. People need to realize the risks involved in off airport operations.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, your presentation was the best of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, not to worry...All those planes Steve showed on their noses and backs were missing proper nose-wheels.