Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

Those are the early O-235 push rods, they are aluminum, however they are not affected by the service bulletin because my engine serial number is earlier than the ones listed on the service bulletin. The aluminum ones on the service bulletin are the different style aluminum ends that they had trouble with. My engine was built in 1947, I believe they came out with the bad aluminum pushrods in the late 60's or early 70's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remembered an AD on the aluminum push rods but had never seen any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I remembered an AD on the aluminum push rods but had never seen any.

The pushrods in the photo are not the AD push rods. They are the original pushrods from o-235. These are the pushrods that were updated to the 2nd generation of pushrods with different ends that were then AD. I have a very early o-235 c1b. I also have a earlier o-235C. Which is not in any newer parts manual and is not even type certified anymore. It is 100 horse power and low compression 6:5 to 1. Most of the part numbers on it I can’t even find anywhere. Lycoming doesn’t acknowledge its existence

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing exciting to report. I cleaned up the springs, pistons, rockers, and small fittings. I have been doing other projects and figuring out my steel tube order for the fuselage, hopefully I will get it ordered in the early spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Well its been awhile since I updated this. I been helping a friend get some of his airplanes up and running and get some good flying in this summer. I was also waiting on parts from aircraft specialties and I ordered the fuselage kit from wag aero on May 12 and it was finally ready on July 10, I went and picked it up the next day. So as far as progress goes. I cut out and welded the tail beacon holder for the rudder. I cleaned, zygloed and inspected the engine case, painted that. I installed the crank gear to crank, connecting rods onto crank. I also cooked the new Olite bearings in oil. Got the new oil pump and oil pick up tube installed in rear case. I also installed lifters in case and put case halves together. Installed the rear accessory case and oil pan. Before any of this was put together I dimension checked all parts, clearances, which takes along time to do right. I put the case halves together 3 times to measure bores, with bearings, and plastic gauge with crank and cam. I even check dimensions on new parts like the oil pump, crank, lifters, and cam even though they are new or reworked at a shop. My friend makes fun of me for doing this as I wasted an hour measuring and checking clearances and backlash on the oil pump. Point of that story is if you look at the 2nd last picture, the oil relief ball in the center is the one removed from engine, the one on left is new from superior and the one on right is new from Lycoming. In the last picture you can see it is in original package with part number and size. Lycoming only makes one side ball for all their engines it measures .6875. The ball in the new Lycoming package measures .7500. This larger diameter ball will not seat properly in oil relief recess. So I called aircraft specialties and told them what I had found, they told me repeatedly how wrong I was and that lycoming doesn't make mistakes and how I don't know what I'm talking about. So for 15 minutes I argued to the point of us cussing back and forth at each other and I finally told him to check with a mechanic and grab a micrometer and check size of ball vs superior and AEI. So he comes back on phone very apologetic and says he will contact lycoming and see what problem was, he just couldn't believe no one caught this mistake in size. So next day I called Lycoming and informed them what I found and they said they try to catch this when they come in the wrong size, so this is a problem they new about but I have not seen any notice or service bulletin issued. So if you bought a new lycoming or any part always check the dimensions with the book.

Post Thanks / Like

It would only let me do 15 pics so here are the oil relief ball pics I am talking about in previous post. Along with some more engine pics and the inventory of the fuselage kit from wag aero

Post Thanks / Like

I also disassembled the Marvel schebler MA3SPA carburetor, cleaned all parts, removed bearings for throttle shaft, and painted upper and lower halves. I also disassembled the right Bendix magneto. I will be getting a list of parts to replace for these while I work on steel tube on the fuselage. While taking the carb apart I found that the previous guy soldered the screws for the float bracket to the valve seat. Very unusual.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got started on the fuselage frame. I cut, bent and jigged up the left side. I used a online program to print the notches for the tubes and then wrapped the patterns around the tube. This made the notching of the tubes very easy and progress went quick. I tack welded the left side fuselage frame in the jig and then tacked the other side. I then cut the tubes for station 1, the firewall and jigged those into position.

Post Thanks / Like

I finished cutting and notching the tubes for station 1, tacked welded them, and then finished welded them. I then set the bushings for the engine mount and tacked in place. I checked the holes with the motor mount I got from wag aero. All lined up. I then made the 4 bushings and washer plates for the firewall hold down. The blue prints call for using a screw welded to the cross tube on station 1, I prefer to use a bushing and then I can drill the firewall from the backside, and I don't have to worry if the treads on the welded screw get messed up in the future, just change the bolt out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have made some progress since my last post, for some reason I can not upload pics, is anyone else having this issue