Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrument and Panel Lighting Options

Post Thanks / Like

Question Instrument and Panel Lighting Options

I had a beautiful x-county yesterday with my instructor Doug. We flew to Paso Robles and back. Wound up taking off about a half hour before Sunset. So we crossed the San Joaquin and Sierras in the dark. I was prepared for the occasion with a head-band flashlight, that I’d previously picked up from Home Depot. But, I’m really thinking about redoing the panel lights. Any advice on options or what doesn’t work, I’ve got the newer Tri-Pacer with a wet vacuum driven DG/AG/T&B set. Thanks.

Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Instrument and Panel Lighting Options

I’ve got some nulites on my altimeter and airspeed indicator, since they didn’t come with backlights.

Previously I had some red lights overhead that were pointed at my panel. I’m much happier with the nulights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    I’ve got some nulites on my altimeter and airspeed indicator, since they didn’t come with backlights.

Previously I had some red lights overhead that were pointed at my panel. I’m much happier with the nulights.

I like your clean and simple panel.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any experience with the fiberlites? I was considering those and nulites...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No experience with the fiberlites, but it struck me as difficult for future maintenance as the light generator portion gets mounted under the panel somewhere & the fires then run to each instrument. I did the NuLites in Delta Dawn & LOVED them. I wired all the instruments together then into a small molex plug so that I could unplug the entire unit. Admittedly this was on a panel with the mod that used to be called the Woolsey mod, Univair has it now for about 3x the price. Anyway I cloud undo 6-7 screws & take the entire panel out(after disconnecting the instruments appropriately of course) and only had to unplug that 1, 2 wire molex... Anyway, that was my experience. I'll likely do the same ones in by current project plane as it goes together.

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the fiberlites? I was considering those and nulites...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    No experience with the fiberlites, but it struck me as difficult for future maintenance as the light generator portion gets mounted under the panel somewhere & the fires then run to each instrument. I did the NuLites in Delta Dawn & LOVED them. I wired all the instruments together then into a small molex plug so that I could unplug the entire unit. Admittedly this was on a panel with the mod that used to be called the Woolsey mod, Univair has it now for about 3x the price. Anyway I cloud undo 6-7 screws & take the entire panel out(after disconnecting the instruments appropriately of course) and only had to unplug that 1, 2 wire molex... Anyway, that was my experience. I'll likely do the same ones in by current project plane as it goes together.
    That’s good feedback. Did you do anything for lighting the switches ?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't, there aren't that many switches involved in a 20 or 22 & muscle memory serves my pretty well in that situation, some other planes are a whole other matter... though thinking about it now it would be easy enough to put an led strip pointing down just above the switches under that "step", I'll have to think about that when I get the project a bit further along...

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/s...oulder-lights/

These LEDs pop right into the Piper shoulder lights and are way better than stock. Attached pic is new LED on the pilot side and stock on the copilot side. For regular night flying I would highly recommend also upgrading to LED nav/position and landing/taxi lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    I didn't, there aren't that many switches involved in a 20 or 22 & muscle memory serves my pretty well in that situation, some other planes are a whole other matter... though thinking about it now it would be easy enough to put an led strip pointing down just above the switches under that "step", I'll have to think about that when I get the project a bit further along...
    Thought about the led strip as you suggested but finding a certified (and affordable) strip is the hard part. Seems like a perfect application for it though.

Currently I have the interior light switch toggle covered with a rubber cap. This makes it it easy to identify in the dark by feel. The only problem with the led upgraded over the shoulder lighting is that it's too bright.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I’m not much for electrical engineering and wiring, more of a history kind of guy. That being said, I was looking at multiple options for cockpit lighting/instrument panel lighting. I went back and forth on the options listed above. Nulite really had peaked my interest. Depending on the # of instruments you want lighted, I was looking at 200ish all in. My mechanic was willing to do the LED strip option and do it as a minor modification. I wasn’t sure so I went with the easy way out and bought the LED shoulder lights kit that Kev mentions above. The light over my left shoulder was an inoperable grimes light. Steve sent me a stock replacement light compatible the LED kit. W/ the LED kit I’ve got sufficient red light for night flights for 55.00. Also keeps my cabin close to stock and eats little space.

Greg