Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes Coming on ShortWingPipers.Org!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Changes Coming on ShortWingPipers.Org!

We appreciate all your comments folks!

Jim, don't be sorry for posting that. There is a perception by many that everything on the internet should be free - when of course it does cost to put it there and maintain it. Much of the content on this website will always be free - as that is the model we chose to operate on.

Rather than overload the site with content unrelated ads, we have chosen the path of engaging members and aviation related companies to help keep the lights on here. Believe me that even at many many times the current membership revenue, this would still very much be a labor of love and not a full time job.

We do all have to make choices where we invest our time and our money. We have decided that it was time to really put our backs into this website and try to expand the community. In order to do that, the backend infrastructure needed a lot of work - thus some of the changes in memberships.

The shortwings are a great group of airplanes, and a great group of people own and appreciate them. We can't be everything to everybody, be we will always listen.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

P.S. Jim I also got your membership updated properly. There are still some that slipped through the cracks, we are working to catch up so if you have renewed and you do not have member access please let us know! You can check your status here: https://www.shortwingpipers.org/rapidjoin

Thanks!

sj

Post Thanks / Like

When we decided to update the membership side of this website, I loved the idea of adding different member level names to those who have donated to this site. It was a chance to keep the website fresh, updated, and ever evolving. We had a list of names to choose from, and I guess you could say that I gave the names and attached them to the different member levels, but neither Steve disagreed with the choices. It was never my intention to offend anyone and I apologize. When looking at the names on the list, I thought of my Steve and his love, passion, addiction and enthusiasm for these airplanes and the people that share his interest. I chose those names based on that premise alone and never thought any farther about the other meanings behind those names.

Post Thanks / Like

steve, where in the forum menu can the link to this page be found
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy, I have always seen this site as wonderful source of enjoyment. Please take no offense with my post, I was just enjoying the site as I always do. My comments come from the sales manager experience in my life. In naming a new product, the sale team might sit around a couple of days throwing out names. We'd get to what was thought to be a good one and then, someone would say "Oh no, it means this ____ to some people." The company I worked, for had not gone though these process on their first logo and wound up with one that was very very phallic. Had to change it. As the General Sales Manager, I gathered all of the old logo belt buckles, and used them a peace offering to customers who had really screwed over. They were treasured.
    This group is a very bright one, let them roll with this.

Post Thanks / Like

I was really disappointed there was not freeloader or slacker next to my name for not being a cash contributor. I think I have posted once or twice that I have an aversion to contributing finically to web forums. Don't really have the time to explain this morning.

I like to think I do contribute though and need no reward for doing so. That said, a naming reword system based on a "like system" which notes the value of a post or thread started seems to be more valuable. Its just an idea.

I think the whole thing is just a wast of your time and bandwidth etc. This forum is simple and effective as it sits.

I do appreciate the time you guys take to run this site.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rocket, thanks for your comments. The "like / thanks" feature is already in place (picture below for clarification).

I am a little confused about "the whole thing being a waste of time" and at the same time being "simple and effective."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    I was really disappointed there was not freeloader or slacker next to my name for not being a cash contributor. I think I have posted once or twice that I have an aversion to contributing finically to web forums. Don't really have the time to explain this morning.

I like to think I do contribute though and need no reward for doing so. That said, a naming reword system based on a "like system" which notes the value of a post or thread started seems to be more valuable. Its just an idea.

I think the whole thing is just a wast of your time and bandwidth etc. This forum is simple and effective as it sits.

I do appreciate the time you guys take to run this site.

Rocket
    "A lawyer’s time and advice are his stock in trade"....Abraham Lincoln

As a member of several aircraft type forums, it is my opinion that SWPO is one of the best avenues for education, entertainment, and socializing available. With regard to entertainment and general "chewing the fat" it hard to assign a dollar value. However, with very rare exceptions, the members of this group are guys that I would really enjoy sitting down with every evening to enjoy a fine ale and tell a few westerns. The fact that we can't saves me incalculable funds! Nonetheless, I still get to enjoy the daily "cyber chat" BS sessions with a great group of folks. There is value in that!

Remove "Lawyer" from the above quote, and insert "mechanic, classic aircraft restorer, etc." to make the quote germane to our discussion. We members are extremely fortunate to have many experts that willingly share information and experience on this forum. Every time they put down their wrenches, paint gun, or manual to answer a question, it costs them lost time which is revenue. These folks give of their time willingly and their compensation is seeing this site flourish.
    How many of us have not benefitted from getting timely advice from Steve Pierce, reading threads such as the current ones from Brian or Jim H. detailing the restoration of a Pacer (just to name a few), or even the "Oh Jeez! Don't do what I did!" comments from so many of our members? How many of us have wished that you could walk into your local shop to ask the resident technician "what the heck is this" or "how do I do this"? We can do that here, and this my friends is where the value really lies. I do not look at my yearly remittance as a donation, rather the best investment of $25 that I could make!
    SWPO is, IMHO, the best asset available to not only keep these classic planes running and flying well, but also to assure that they are a viable choice for ownership going into the future. The only way that we can assure the continued survival of these planes is to keep a steady flow of new owners. We all might agree that the information published by Piper is limited, and much of the work on these planes is "shop practice". This is a dying art in todays aircraft maintenance facilities. The quote "a technician experienced with SWP's" is stated many times when referring a new or prospective owner who needs assistance. Well, there are not many techs who meet that criteria, but having a resource like SWPO can create another member of that group!
    With regard to the instant topic of displayed membership levels, it is not a big deal either way. S.J, and Steve & Cathy are the ones who make those decisions as the website owners and administrators.
    Last edited by pa20; 02-03-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Rocket is on to something. When a poster has made 100 post without contributing to the cost of running the site, "award" that poster a FREELOADER tag. Recognize him for his post. Maybe someone can help me figure out a free avgas scheme, free electricity, free hangar rent, etc.

I forgot "free lunch".
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 02-03-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: More thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the work Steve, Kathy and Steve does making this site happen. Any upgrades you choose are fine with me!

I am happy to make my voluntary contribution.

Thank you!
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."