Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Tri pacer shop/mechanic needed in SF Bay Area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri pacer shop/mechanic needed in SF Bay Area

We have our fire department helicopters based there now, as well as an awesome ARFF live fire training fuselage that simulates a crashed aircraft and allows us to light various engine, fuel, and fuselage fires (using LPG) and can give our firefighters some really good crash rescue training.

Post Thanks / Like

Great. I finally got the Reno air guard fire fighting with the C130s but have since retired from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started firefighting at 18, I worked near the Columbia airport and we would sometimes go help fill the S2 turbos. They would come in and we would hot load them, kneel down and they would immediately depart, kinda like being on a carrier I would imagine. I would just salvate at how cool they were, wishing and dreaming about flying one of them.... anyways, I digress.

Post Thanks / Like

So here are my pistons and cylinders, a leaky fuel line, and a spot where one of the cables cut into some sheet metal.

B0BFE025-0325-402C-9A70-608204ADDF73.jpg4EB5E1D2-B5A6-4901-AD99-918F6DBA9819.jpg110B65D7-6576-4E30-A35A-4FAF60E348FF.jpgFA44B4C2-F6F4-45CC-AE83-1C4169805D20.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Red? Brake line?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Red? Brake line?
    That could explain some engine problems if it's running diesel fuel Brake line sure makes a lot more sense and probably just a twist of a wrench.

Here's wishing you run into simple fixes that get you in the air quickly. Sorry you have to deal with all this with your new baby.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Reason I mentioned that (in addition to color) is because I had the same on an AN fitting on my belly brake line. Only need to be tightened a bit to stop the leak.
    DSC04092.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

No honor in aircraft sales.

I tell everyone I run into who is buying an airplane that an owner will sell an airplane that will kill you just to make a buck or brag to his buddies how much he made on the so called deal. I've seen it time and again.

What I can't understand is the IA and A&P who signs off on it. In reality it goes back to the owners who don't want a good inspection, wants a $300 dollar one day annual, please don't find anything wrong with my airplane, just don't write it up and I'll fix it later myself crowd.

As an IA A&P I've missed some stuff, nothing I'm proud of, and I've worked with owners who I thought capable who didn't have the cash flow to pay me to fix their problem, but I've never just signed some discrepancy off or chose not to write it off. I've lost count of the guys who left my shop pissed off that I made the proper logbook entry.

It is unfortunate that a dream turns sour in this manor, that someone couldn't point a buyer at the right people to protect them from making a poor choice. A truly trustworthy friend would have said lets go buy a half rack of bud, drive down to the runway fence and watch planes levitate under the reaction of the amount of cash one must dispose of.

I went back and reread this thread and three things come to mind:

- buyer beware: we all have a responsibility for our actions and we have ways to keep is from making bad choices. I tell people, do your homework.

-not from my shop ites. Be cautious, some shops will tear apart an airplane just cause it didn't come through their shop. It's a money trap and they know they have you. Sometimes it's just a distorted ego trying to prove to you and the FAA how good they think they are. The one foto of the dented vent line and some baffle with chaffing made me think of this; the missing case bolt and no safety on the gascolator is extra special though.

-sounds like it's too late but be weary getting the FAA in a pissing match playing the how many discrepancies can we find in this airplane game. I've seen this a few times and it's extra ugly. It plays into the ego mechanic noted above. Your airplane may never fly again regardless of how much disposable you have on hand.

Like all situations none of us here have all the details, I'm sure the original owner reads this thread... Always nice to get both sides of the story.

A Tripacer is a good bird and good to learn in. Take offs are docile and landings are too. Check your nose tire air pressure in your little POH it's 17psi in mine and darn near crashed two pilots in mine before I read that little detail. While you are waiting for yours to get airworthy do your homework Read that little POH from cover to cover. Get the Piper SB reprint book from Unavair, bookmark and read all the pertinent info. Get a paper copy of Ac43.13 and keep it on your toilet tank at home. While you are at it order the PA-22 parts book and get familure.

Find someone in your area with a Tripacer and offer to buy some gas and that C note burger for some stick time. Just sitting in one and making airplane noises as you familiarize your self with where everything is and get some muscle memory will be a benefit. Make sure they let you taxi around the tarmac, truly the most challenging part of owning your flying milk stool.

Just me more thing, lot of exceptional talent on this forum, don't be afraid to use it. Make well thought out inquires. Use the PM system if you think being discreet can be more productive. Do your homework

And welcome to the club!

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

yea, might have been a brake line. I don’t know what the hell i’m looking at!

Thank you rocket. That is some good advice that I will gladly follow. I sure have learned a ton from all this as far as buying planes and repairs, but am also grateful to have learned some of the basics such as the maintenance parts, required paperwork, logs, airworthiness, etc... I will get those suggested documents and books and keep reading and learning. I can’t wait to get to actually fly. It’s been such a long time coming and I am trying to be as patient as I can, but it’s going to feel sooooooo damn good when I get that first solo.

And yes, there is another side to the story that I wish I could hear too, but the previous owner and mechanic never replied back. We were able to figure out some of the back story by reading some articles that the previous owner wrote for SWPC. If he did reply, I’m sure he would say that I was a young, eager, naive “kid” who should have had a full pre buy done, (which he is right!!!) even though I have emails from him saying to “trust him,” “you won’t find a better plane,” and “you won’t find anything wrong with it.” Anyways, not to get into all that again. Thanks for all the positive wishes! Will keep you all posted.
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 01-06-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

To reiterate -- don't give up. These are really neat planes and worth the trouble to get them into shape...IMHO.

Meet 57A:

DSC03981-1.jpg