Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Panel! (Pictures)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Show Us Your Panel! (Pictures)

Here is the evolution of the panel in my Pacer since 1999 when I bought the airplane. I moved from an Aeronca Champ with no electrical system to the Pacer. Since our second daughter was born, we needed an airplane with four seats and the Pacer fit the bill:

1st picture shows the panel in 1999. I negotiated a lower price by asking the previous owner to take all the old radios and gyro instruments out. I didn't need them since I was flying VFR only and was used to flying with my handheld GPS and radio.
    2nd picture in 2012. Over the years I added a transponder (since I fly right outside of the Washington Dulles Class B airspace) and then a com radio. In 2012 I decided to get my IFR certification and added a GARMIN GNC 300 XL, a GARMIN SL30 and a full sixpack of gauges as well as a CDI with glideslope indicator.
    3rd picture in 2016 shows the addition of the ASPEN PFD. It made single pilot IFR without autopilot flying much easier.
    4th picture in 2018 shows the replacement of the GNC300XL with a GNS430W.
    5th picture in 2022 (taken this week) shows the latest upgrade. My last vacuum gauge was the AI and it was making noise. I decided to take the vacuum system out and replace the vacuum AI with a GARMIN G5 AI as my backup. I also replaced my (broken) intercom and the very old audio panel with a GARMIN GMA345 audio panel with four place intercom and all the nice features like BT phone paring to receive IFR clearance via phone, music and crystal-clear stereo sound.

It's safe to say that I have spent more money on panel upgrades than what I have paid for the Pacer in 1999, but I have also got over 2,200 very enjoyable hours of flying out of it. My next panel "upgrade" is to clean it up by painting it in gray and apply nicer (white) letters and move the brakers from under the panel to the right-hand side of the panel. Who knows how this panel will look in another 10 to 20 years?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pacer42Z; 02-16-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is nice! I just bought my pacer and I've been learning in a C150 with a GNS430W. I'm very comfortable with it but I know they are not supported anymore. I *think* I would still like one in mine... In the meantime I'll just use Garmin Pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Here is the evolution of my newish to me 1957 PA-22 150 N7634D.
    I bought the airplane in November 2021, originally the panel was pretty bare bones. Had a SL40 Com and a TDR-950 Transponder that was only kinda-sorta working.
    Got the airplane from Southern CA, and had it ferried up to the Bay Area where I am based. It didn't have ADS-B and I fly out of San Jose International so ADS-B was the first priority.
    The first step was removing the old transponder and installing the Garmin GNX 375. Did the installation myself as well as rewiring the SL40 Com since the original installation was a bit rough.
    Wired up dual PTT switches, and swapped out the false panels for some wood ones I removed from another Pacer years back.
    Flew around like this for a while, and then started thinking about how old the engine on this old bird was. It doesn't have a ton of hours, about 1300 but it was last overhauled in the late 60s. So I decided it was probably a good idea to install an engine monitor so that I could keep an eye on temperatures and trends. The Second mod of the panel was to install the engine monitor, but while I was at it I decided to rip out the pilot panel and install a standard 6-pack layout panel from Univair. Also, since the Garmin GI 275 EIS STC requires you to remove all the old engine gauges, I figured I would use that space for an ipad mini mount, so I bought the Guardian Avionics Flush mount and cut a new panel for the right side as well. The center panel below the radios and the panel above the radios are a little wonky, mostly the gaps between the panels, I need to redo those as well but for now I am enjoying flying the thing. So far the Engine monitor is amazing. The biggest difference is having more confidence in my fuel situation now that I have reliable gauges as well as the new fuel flow. CHTs are a bit higher than I expected so now I have something new to troubleshoot... theres always something.

If anyone needs a false panel let me know, don't have much use for these ones anymore.

-Alex
    N7634DPanel1.jpgN7634DPanel2.jpgN7634DPanel3.jpgN7634DPanel4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That's very nice, exactly what I am planning in my Pacer build. 6 pack, center radio/transponder, and an iPad on the right.

Post Thanks / Like

panel.jpg

Do you mean like this. Round Beker radio in the center. Very Simple. About to commence the fabric in the new year.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn’t figure out how to get text along with the above photos so I’ll comment here. The panel is a “no hump” from the Cub Doctor. I laid out the coordinates on a program called DraftTech and then had it cut on a water jet. This will be a VFR panel. I opted to install the AV-30 for situational awareness at night. I’m using an old Garmin 150XL to drive the AV-30. An iPad mini with Foreflight is used to back up the panel mounted gps. It’s cradled in the Guardian Avionics panel mount and uses their dual power supply for the iPad and the front mounted USB port. Comm is a Garmin 200B. Transponder is a Garmin 327. Leaving out ADSB at this point but will wire the system to plug in a GDL 82 if I opt to go with it down the road. Insight G1 engine monitor. Uma electronic tach and fuel gauges. EI volt/ammeter. I’m going to add one more warning light to the left of the two in the picture. They will be for “low oil pressure”, “starter engaged” and “ADSB inop”. The open hole to the right of the fuel gauge is for the ELT remote switch. Color will be Dawn Gray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool spot, where is it?