Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine mounts for 0-360 engine ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default engine mounts for 0-360 engine ?

The folks who install an o-360 into a 22/20---- is there a slightly beefier engine mount that is used
    since there is quite a bit more HP ? The stock one looks pretty minimilast--- and I have read somewhere that they occasionaly crack where the lugs are welded on even with the normal 135/150 hp engines.
    (just thinking ahead--- )
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: engine mounts for 0-360 engine ?

Hi,

I used this to put a dynafocal 0320 in mine.

https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...-engine-mount/

Beefier for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    The folks who install an o-360 into a 22/20---- is there a slightly beefier engine mount that is used
    since there is quite a bit more HP ? The stock one looks pretty minimilast--- and I have read somewhere that they occasionaly crack where the lugs are welded on even with the normal 135/150 hp engines.
    (just thinking ahead--- )
    Tim
    I don't remember finding any cracked engine mounts. Have found holes rubbed in from the tail pipe and the nose gear mounts bent from landing on the nose wheel. Where were these cracks and who had them?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Steve I haven't seen any cracks myself , but I've seen a number of holes and damaged tubes from outside influence. If your looking for a Dynafocal mount for a Pacer I'd go to Eddie Trimmer before I'd go to Univair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I agree with Steve I haven't seen any cracks myself , but I've seen a number of holes and damaged tubes from outside influence. If your looking for a Dynafocal mount for a Pacer I'd go to Eddie Trimmer before I'd go to Univair.
    You can get the stc and the mount from eddie for about what univair wants just for the mount.
    But written into all of Eddie's STC's is a prohibition of a constant speed prop. So if you where thinking that (check out MT's composite) you'll either need to do some sort of paperwork shuffle or use a different STC.
    In case your wondering, eddie has that in there cause he thinks a constant speed setup is too heavy for a pacer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I havnt even started looking for an engine yet--- but noticing that 320 and 360 weight appears to be within 10 lbs roughly----
    and my IA suggested I consider a 360 in stead of 320. I was thinking 320 simply because of maybe more of them in the market and maybe less demand and better prices.

I cant remember where I read about cracks--- it just someone's comment--- seemed somewhat "anecdotal" as doctors like
    to say. I guess with all the vibration and wiggleing up there-- anything touching the tubing could rub a hole fairly fast.
    I remember reading that silicone baffle seal is bad for that. (rubbing holes through the sheet metal it is against- considerably faster than carbon rubber compounds it replaced)

I will check Trimmer--- he seems to have loads of neat stuff---- he must be the guy who builds all the stuff we imagine....
    (and does all the sweat and $ to get approval)

I would probably not want a CS prop anyway. so I guess THAT isn't a problem. Maybe a ground adjustable- possibly---
    I think the cost/benefit just wouldn't be there on this kind of plane. Maybe on an RV-8 or a higher performance plane
    set up for traveling and speed--- (like a mooney or an arrow or a comanchie---- heck yes---) The overhaul cost alone
    kind of decides that for me--- as I am on a budget ( if that's possible with an airplane )

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

When you compare Eddie to the univair don't forget about the shipping costs. Eddie's price includes shipping and it ships out of California. I certainly would buy it from him.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie is great to work with.
    If you can go either way on engines, I highly recommend the O-360.
    Great performance gain, whether short strip and climb performance with a 54-56" pitch prop
    or X-country traveler with a 60-61 pitch prop.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

There is more of a weight difference than that. I went from an O-320 with a borer prop (37 lbs. ?) to an O-360 with a wood prop (18 lbs.) and gained about 30 lbs. in the process.
    The CG moved back a 1/4" as well, likely due to less weight on the nose from the wood prop.

There is no certified ground adjustable so to keep it legal your stuck with either a metal or wood prop, and after running a wood prop I'd recommend sticking with a metal one.
    I thought the reduction in weight would equate to more thrust since not so much power is being used to spin a heavy flywheel. And that would balance out the inefficiency of a wood prop.
    It does not.
    All that being said, I have talked to a guy that has a ground adjustable on his pacer and the numbers he told me for his short field and cruise (depending on how the prop is adjusted) blew my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by JPerkins; 09-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    All that being said, I have talked to a guy that has a ground adjustable on his pacer and the numbers he told me for his short field and cruise (depending on how the prop is adjusted) blew my mind.
    I think we calculated something near 34# different in engine weights. Agree with JPerkins on performance although I am only experiencing the cruise prop config, even then
    my take off distance is only 700' at elevation of 3500' and temps in 90's.
    "Progress is our most important problem"