Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bungee Installation

Sounds like the PA16 parts catalog. Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lownslow View Post
    Does anyone have experience building a bungee tool utilizing simple leverage, depicted in this video, to install bungees as potent as the 1080HD's? I am considering building one. I have 270 lbs here that is sitting around not doing much.

Lou S.
    Lou - I built one years ago when I first bought my Pacer and have used it for years.....it worked exactly like the video. I changed several bungees for different guys over the years, and am supposed to change out the bungees on Younkin's Pacer tomorrow. But I can't find my bungee tool! Haven't used it in about 6 years, or more, according to Moyle who bought my old Pacer and has now rebuilt it, as he said the bungees were about 6 years old on the Pacer when he got it. Thought I knew exactly where it was, but nope.....not there. I can't remember loaning it to someone, but may have. Any way, guess I will be building a new tool!

Fabricman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Take a look a drawing 12637 on the drawing CD. It was updated in 1954, added item "P" on the drawing which replaced the 12638-00 (hydrasorb with welded ears) with the current hydrasorb 13148, which has the two fittings, one which fits overs the strut. I have an unmolested 1950 PA-20 with 900 hours, narrow gear and the hydrasorbs have the welded lugs like yours. I also have an original 1950 PA20 parts catalog, which by the way was produced without illustrations. Piper said that they would help you identify parts with a phone call. The original parts catalog only list the 12638-00 as the correct hydrasorb for a 50 pacer. Also, It does not make a separate listing the fittings which are required on the current 13148 hydrasorb on drawing 12637, like the current (1954 rev.)parts catalog does. I think there is an error in the current parts catalog adding the fittings to the obsolete 12638-00.
    I had the same issue when I replaced my hydrosorbs a few years ago. I ordered what was listed for a PA-20, and what I received were the ones that needed the end fittings. I called Univair, and was told that the ones I received were the replacement for the older style. Luckily, my local salvage place had a few busted up PA-22's that I was able to secure the parts as they are breathtakingly expensive from Univair!
    Make sure you check the overall length of the new vs original before installation. Also...Don't forget to replace the bumper pads while you have everything disassembled!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Changed bungee cords on a Pacer today. Used a tow strap and the chain hoist in the ceiling of my hanger to lift it up one side at a time.
    IMG_20180605_142935.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Removed the bolt holding the hydrosorbs inside the fuselage. Then I put a block of wood under the tire to expose the bolt holding the hydrosorb to the landing gear.
    IMG_20180605_142942.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I get nervous with things just hanging so I installed a section of chain just in case the airplane were to fall.
    IMG_20180605_143135_1.jpgIMG_20180605_143152.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Then the fun part of loading the hydrosorb into the Bungee Buddy.
    IMG_20180605_143540.jpgIMG_20180605_143748.jpgIMG_20180605_143949.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Stretched, pushed over to one side by a thumb screw and then popped onto the hydrosorb by loosening a bolt on the side of the tool. IMG_20180605_144020.jpgIMG_20180605_144023.jpgIMG_20180605_145744.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Then the loaded hydrosorb is installed from the cockpit and bolt installed in the gear leg. Then nockbthe block out from under the tire while making sure the top of the hydrosorb is aligned to the fitting in the fuselage carry-thru structure.
    IMG_20180605_142953.jpg
    I have a collection of bullets made by cutting the head off a bolt and turning it to a point on my disc sander while chucked up in my cordless drill. Works good for lining up the hole in the hydrosorb with the fuselage fitting, drive it through with the bolt right behind it. I quick wack with a plastic hammer usually drives the bolt in and the bullet out.
    IMG_20180605_151059.jpg

Last edited by Steve Pierce; 06-05-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a floor jack with a come-along to remove and reinstall hydrasorbs. The floor jack went under the tire as a skate on the side I was working to allow it to move in and out. I tied the gear together and controlled the movement with the come-along. Worked very well for me when hoisting the aircraft wasn’t a feasible option.