Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovering the left wing on my Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recovering the left wing on my Pacer

Stitch just like you stitch the tank bay ribs. If you are worried about the T section edge, I would just run some chafe tape along the sharp edge. I like your inspection panels! I was at Winchester on Friday, but didn't see your hangar door open, otherwise I would have dropped in.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested to see how I made the inspection panels (the tools I used to cut the metal), here is a video showing the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGpvNiDRbQo . I didn't video tape the dimpling and riveting since that is a basic standard process.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Stitch just like you stitch the tank bay ribs. If you are worried about the T section edge, I would just run some chafe tape along the sharp edge. I like your inspection panels! I was at Winchester on Friday, but didn't see your hangar door open, otherwise I would have dropped in.
    Thanks, I was at the airport Friday. I'm there pretty much every day. I even have a microwave in the hangar so I don't have to leave for lunch.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know how to explain it in words but I use a half round needle, start the thread through the intended hole, then take the needle to the next hole ahead of it, pull it out and then across to the hole adjacent to the first hole and tie your knot. It is time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I don't know how to explain it in words but I use a half round needle, start the thread through the intended hole, then take the needle to the next hole ahead of it, pull it out and then across to the hole adjacent to the first hole and tie your knot. It is time consuming.
    Yes, I had to do that after I fixed a broken rib under the right main tank. Very tedious. With the tank out of the wing it’s much easier.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

The wing is finally closed and I'm laying out the rib stiches. The drawing CD is a blessing to look up all the little details. It is amazing how much time it takes to recover a wing and do just the necessary fixes, clean ups and repairs. I can understand why it cost so much when you hire your A&P to do it for you. I have been working on this pretty much every day since April 16th (except for four days when I moved my daughter). I could not have done this pre retirement.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I did the same as Steve but I bought a bodkin (sp?) puller. It wasn’t tempered so I could bend it easily. I also cut the ball off the end, and I was able to “adjust” for the exact distance between the holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

I made my needles out of coat hangers.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I made my needles out of coat hangers.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    This is a very interesting and informative thread. The curved needle lacing is a bit confusing to me. My understanding is that the issue has to do with the ribs adjacent to the fuel tanks and only the bottom of the rib is to be laced. If so why the need for a curved needle if the tank is not yet installed? Second the pictures posted by Jim seem to indicate using doubled lacing. True?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    This is a very interesting and informative thread. The curved needle lacing is a bit confusing to me. My understanding is that the issue has to do with the ribs adjacent to the fuel tanks and only the bottom of the rib is to be laced. If so why the need for a curved needle if the tank is not yet installed? Second the pictures posted by Jim seem to indicate using doubled lacing. True?
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    Further to my earlier on this does anyone know if the Pacer wing aux tank is available for Colt? By STC or 337?