Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: N1945P restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: N1945P restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    From the picture it just looks like they didn't hide the knot and ran the cord over the rib to the next knot instead of under the fabric. Was there something else? Also, how was the fabric held on if not glued?
    What we think they did was use the polygraph on top of the fabrice to get it to sit down not real sure. I have yet to have a fabric job pop off clean like this one did. The rib stich was the wrong knot from what i was told. I have yet to do my own rib stich so all new for me. But I wasn't mine to be under the fabric and the knot under there also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NV Hunter View Post
    What we think they did was use the polygraph on top of the fabrice to get it to sit down not real sure. I have yet to have a fabric job pop off clean like this one did. The rib stich was the wrong knot from what i was told. I have yet to do my own rib stich so all new for me. But I wasn't mine to be under the fabric and the knot under there also.

Sorry, I don't follow. I have seen the stitches like you show on really old cover jobs and more recently we started using a curved needle and running the cord under the fabric to the next stitch whick allows you to hide the knot under the fabric. Is polygraph a spell check correction? If an envelope was used the fabric would normally only be glued at the false spar and root. Blanket method at the leading edge, false spar, root rib and tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Sorry, I don't follow. I have seen the stitches like you show on really old cover jobs and more recently we started using a curved needle and running the cord under the fabric to the next stitch whick allows you to hide the knot under the fabric. Is polygraph a spell check correction? If an envelope was used the fabric would normally only be glued at the false spar and root. Blanket method at the leading edge, false spar, root rib and tip.
    Sorry yes polybrush not graph and yes stitches my bad not through my whole cup of coffee yet.

So when we use poly we apply polytack and use the blanket method. There was no polytack on the edges thats why I'm guessing they wet it through with brush and went from there.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y-oU1ikcAA

This lady kicks butt! I'm not as fast as she is, but this works!

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter, have you looked at the fuselage fabric where it attaches at the windshield?
    We have all read a few stories lately where that was not done correctly and the pilots suddenly had an open sunroof in flight.

Good luck, and kudos for good judgement on digging in to find and fix the bad stuff.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NV Hunter View Post
    Its funny Rocket the yoke in the plane always had a tilt to the right when you let go even after you brought everything back to neutral on the ground it would turn the yoke to the right. I'm wondering if that was because of this rod in the right wing not being attached??
    I have seen this before. I am not sure how they accomplish it but the odds favor the ailerons were rigged without centering the yokes. Just tighten cables until they “feel” good and push it out the door is my guess. It is pretty easy to fix unless a cable or two were made wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hunter, have you looked at the fuselage fabric where it attaches at the windshield?
    We have all read a few stories lately where that was not done correctly and the pilots suddenly had an open sunroof in flight.

Good luck, and kudos for good judgement on digging in to find and fix the bad stuff.

GG
    Just briefly I have and it look like the wrapped the fabric around to the other side when we start on the fuselage I will be taking a close look. Right now just focusing on the tail surfaces and the ailerons and flaps.

Post Thanks / Like

So now that the flaps and ailerons are prepped on to fabric work!20201124_144241.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Small updated! We finished covering the Flaps and Ailerons now currently working on the tail surfaces. Yesterday we rib stitched and now we are ready for tapes. The gold is to be bring down the wings before Christmas. Looks like we are going to make it.

Post Thanks / Like

On to the wings finished up the tail serface yesterday 20201223_113547.jpeg