Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it my plane, or is it me?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it my plane, or is it me?

You can't take all that cash with you when you expire Walt, so you might as well get some enjoyment out of it now.
    It's a real shame that it went this long before being discovered though, you really have to wonder what the other guy was thinking when he somehow got in a situation bad enough to bend the crank, and then continue to fly it....wow!

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. Looking at photos Aerotec sent, my A&P suggested this was likely damaged back before ANY prop strike mandated a tear-down, and I tend to agree. And yes, glad I wasn't in the air when things went south.... though the engine always seemed to work quite well (save for the %$#% vibration). Also glad my A&P invested in a dynamic balancer since he last did an annual on 57A in 2013! The other stuff is just from too much lack of attention (and short-cutting). Too bad to treat any machine that way, IMHO.

This poor bird has had a tough life, for sure, but I will not give up on her. Hey-- I still have my "get a PPL" on my bucket list! Didn't really expect to get this far into an A&P education, but since I'm a tinkerer anyway, it's been aggravating, yes, but also quite enjoyable over the past few years. I've learned a TON from you folks on the way.

I'm just very fortunate that I happen to be --through many years of frugality and careful planning-- to be in the financial position that I enjoy now. Now all I have to do is talk with some banking people and get their take -- it may be wiser to use a HELOC @ -3.5% for this and leave the TDAs (currently around +10%) where they are....

In better days (hopefully coming back!):

DSC04418.JPG DSC04429.JPG DSC04416.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Just got word from Aerotec yesterday -- overhaul's done and the engine's now on its way back to me.... Still progressing on engine & nose gear frames, as well as rebuilding nose gear strut. 57A will end up with new nose gear steering bearings (wheel brngs OK), new seals, etc, and an almost new engine. Now all I'll have to do is put it all back together again!

Posted these pics in another thread, but here's what the firewall looks like now, after a good stripping, cleaning, re-painting and (almost) ready for engine re-install:

DSC09695.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Just got word from Aerotec yesterday -- overhaul's done and the engine's now on its way back to me.... Still progressing on engine & nose gear frames, as well as rebuilding nose gear strut. 57A will end up with new nose gear steering bearings (wheel brngs OK), new seals, etc, and an almost new engine. Now all I'll have to do is put it all back together again!

Posted these pics in another thread, but here's what the firewall looks like now, after a good stripping, cleaning, re-painting and (almost) ready for engine re-install:

DSC09695.jpg
    Steve’s Gascolator, good upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

It’s going to look GOOOOOOD!!!
    You're going to be proud
    and rightly so

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah -- if I knew I was going to be taking the engine out, that would have made installing Steve's gascolator a hell of a lot easier!! Oh well, at least it's in now, ha-ha.

And like they say in advertisements... "No extra charge for the dents in the firewall!" That new paint really makes 'em show up nicely, doesn't it?
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 04-28-2021 at 04:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it was easy everyone would do it Walt.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, indeed Walt. It looks great and makes mine look really shabby. You really did nice work, don’t be too hard on yourself

Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of fact, it was others' planes on this forum that shamed me into cleaning mine up! It had at least three different colors all around, with lots of overspray from the "down & dirty" quick paint job that was done at some point. Once the engine was out, I had no more excuses.... Thanks for the compliments!

Engine is now in St John, NS, apparently sitting there, acc. to most recent tracking info, having arrived there early yesterday. I'm not getting antsy or anything... starting to feel like a ten-year-old on Christmas Eve!

10:20 AM -- News Flash! Engine has arrived in Manchester, NH, about 1 hr away!! Whoopee!
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 04-28-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops.. no joy today, but it looks like it'll be delivered tomorrow... in the middle of our biggest rain event in recent months... great. (Did I mention I'm getting antsy?)