Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Fuel Additive

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Additive

I am curious about everyone's opinions on 100LL in low compression O-320 Lycoming engines, the effect on lead fouling and detonation?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Additive

flew about 1500 hrs on a O-320 in my pacer. Used nothing but 100LL. I lean on the ground after start and after landing and
    believe that minimizes a chance of lead fouling between 100 hours.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ditto what Andy said, lean always except take-off and climb and no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as others, I put something like 600hrs on 32Z with a 150, no real issues with fouling, always cleaned regapped & tested at annual, 22D had a 150 when I bought it, (she's a pa22-160 & had the engine changed back in 60 to the 150, no documentation as to why & no incidents in any records, so ?, but she's a 160 again now) anyway no issues with fouling so long as appropriately leaned, when idling. Honestly I've seen just as much propensity for fouling on the 160's if not leaned while idling as the 150's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Same as others, I put something like 600hrs on 32Z with a 150, no real issues with fouling, always cleaned regapped & tested at annual, 22D had a 150 when I bought it, (she's a pa22-160 & had the engine changed back in 60 to the 150, no documentation as to why & no incidents in any records, so ?, but she's a 160 again now) anyway no issues with fouling so long as appropriately leaned, when idling. Honestly I've seen just as much propensity for fouling on the 160's if not leaned while idling as the 150's
    Just an FYI, many PA-22-160s had the engines changed to 150s back in the 60s and early 70s. 80/87octane was cheaper and actually more plentiful at small airports than either 91/96 or 100/130. One 100 LL came on the scene, the oil companies slowly did away with 80/87, so now there is no advantage to using a 150 vs a 160. Older versions of TC 1A6 actually call out the O320-A series engines as alternate engines to the O-320-B series for the PA-22-160. The TC never allowed the O-320-B series on the PA-22-150 however. To do that you need approved data (most common is a Field Approval).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that is the conclusion I'd pretty much come to as regards the engine swap due to cheap gas avail. at the time & the fact that the A/C was at a low altitude field at the time & didn't really need the extra 10hp. The last couple sentences however are contrary to what I'd always found per T/C, however I admittedly have never pushed the issue thru the FAA. My only actual 22-150, 32Z was a 150, but as part of the many ongoing projects became a 180 via STC.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got about 160 hours in my PA22-150 STC'd for 80/87 and for about the first 135 hours used 100LL blue gas exclusively. Just started using a mixture (Very approximately - 50/50 ratio) of locally available 90 octane Unleaded (Marine) gas (Zero Ethanol) with 100LL. Have not noticed any difference in running. Runs smooth. I lean all the time except full rich during take-off and climb, max power settings. My engine has about 200 hours SMOH. 2815 hours TT. I've never fouled a plug, but they get cleaned or replaced every 40 or 50 hours so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all, that is great information!! i keep hearing other opinions about using additives to stop fouling and detonation, but I haven't had any issues. I always lean on the ground and richen it up for takeoff. I did notice a little detonation once but i am sure it was too learn for got to go rich. When i did go full rich that stopped it.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I'm based at sea level and lean on every flight.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    flew about 1500 hrs on a O-320 in my pacer. Used nothing but 100LL. I lean on the ground after start and after landing and
    believe that minimizes a chance of lead fouling between 100 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Ditto what Andy said, lean always except take-off and climb and no issues.
    I do everything they said, except I haven't flown 1500 hours on my O-320, yet.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member