Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: News revealed by the the Administrator at Oshkosh

Post Thanks / Like

Default News revealed by the the Administrator at Oshkosh

Elwell announced a very exciting prospect for the legacy fleet. For older aircraft not being used for commercial purposes, owners will be able to exchange the standard airworthiness certificate for a special airworthiness certificate — similar to certificates held by experimental aircraft. "That means the owner will be able to install lower-cost, safety-enhancing equipment — the kind that is widely available for the experimental market — without an STC or 337." Such a change would also have the potential to expand the ability to substitute for parts that are no longer available, and perhaps even the ability for owners to perform additional maintenance on their aircraft.
    For this category, Elwell noted that there would likely be "tradeoffs," such as not flying for compensation or hire and not flying in Canada. EAA is working to understand this last point better, as Canada has a program for its legacy fleet that eases maintenance and equipment burdens as well.
    Elwell did not announce a date for the proposed rule to be released, but promised that it would be "worth the wait." He went on to say that as always, the FAA's priority is safety, and the GA community needs to be focused on this year’s higher-than-usual accident rate. Nevertheless, his remarks were received as exciting news for the future of GA certification and aircraft ownership.

See
    https://eaa.org/eaa/news-and-publica...BFaU0ifQ%3D%3D

He also mentioned a weight increase as well an increase to four seats for LSA’s
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 08-08-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: News revealed by the the Administrator at Oshkosh

A good way to reduce the value of your airplane! Haven’t seen any rulemaking action on this, so likely at least 5 years away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I witnessed first hand the loss of value, and in my opinion justifiably so, to some “owner maintenance” airplane in Canada.
    On the other hand I would be happy to see my Clipper in the drivers license category.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my airplane is going to be the family for many years to come so even if it comes to needed restoration again the use it has provided will likely be the benefit vs value.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would depend on what choices were made by the previous owner in regards to value. If he were to sell. For example if there were a choice between two short wings both being equal except one had some of the great experimental avionics installed, my choice to buy would be the one with the avionics. Just my 2 cents, no change.

Post Thanks / Like

On the side of the glass half full, having all the short wing fleet become LSA eligible would definitely increase their value I would think.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if the new special airworthiness would be limited to non complex aircraft, or include old aircraft like a 1947 Bonanza or early Barons

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    Wonder if the new special airworthiness would be limited to non complex aircraft, or include old aircraft like a 1947 Bonanza or early Barons
    Nobody will know until the NPRM comes out. Once it does, then you can make comments/suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fancy way to say make your certified aircraft experimental.
    My 2 cents; if I wanted an aircraft I could never fly for hire I'd have bought an experimental to begin with and saved A PILE of money ( I have the more better disease and keep modify the thing).

Curious to see if also there would be some sort of "conformity check" to remove said experimental parts and make the aircraft capable of for hire sevice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us that have no interest in flying our personal planes for hire and plan on keeping them.. I seem to get attached to my planes.. there are some very nice avionics we could use without breaking the bank http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-sys...rizon-hx-efis/

This stuff the rv guys get to install is sweet and I dont read about rvs falling out of the sky any more than certified aircraft.
    Last edited by SMO22; 08-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.