Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Re-finishing Plan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re-finishing Plan

Most of the metal on our Clipper could use new paint, thought I'd pull the tank covers, cowling, and bungie covers, strip and prime them, and take them to a paint shop. Ran-thane's requirement for a supplied-air respirator has me thinking it's probably better done not in our garage. Might prepare them in groups and try to fly a little bit in between so the plane doesn't sit too long, then pull everything off for the color coat. Like to get your thoughts... Thanks !
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Re-finishing Plan

That sounds like a reasonable plan. Stripping and prep is the most work.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

The Randolph Mark II for Metal range doesn't need an air fed mask:
    "Mark II should be used over primed metal or composite parts and is too brittle to be used over fabric. Mark II is a tough, long-lasting topcoat paint. Although Mark II is a two-part catalyzed paint it is not catalyzed with an isocyante, thus normal safety equipment (a charcoal filtered spray mask) is sufficient."

I used that on my Vagabond cowlings etc. and got a finish that ranged from "perfect" to "near perfect"!
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing the same with my Pacer. I started the cowling and all the metal parts on the belly this year. Stripped and painted them. Some of the metal parts were so beat up, I made new ones. I am using the water based Stewart system. I really like it. Specially the clean up after painting is so much easier. In between working on the Pacer, I fly it before the next part comes off for refurbishment. I’ll do this until I run out of parts to take off. Then one of the wings will come off.

Good luck with your “flying project”.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Last edited by Pacer42Z; 12-06-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

well the cowlings and tank covers are done ( and hubcaps ! )

210524 newly painted cowlings.jpg

probably wait until annual time for the nosebowl and doors... thanks for all the pointers ! Cheers
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

Blue44,
    What colors are you using? I plan on doing my Clipper in the original Clipper scheme, but the Piper Ivory seems to be an elusive color. I’m planning on a dope finish, so Randolph colors most likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, it looks good
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm now a fan of Randolph "Sun Valley Ivory". I bought it this color and initially thought it too boring but it grew on me. The original colors from factory in 1956 for my PA22 were Red and White. As purchased, the sun valley ivory on my metal parts was darker than the dope on the fabric and I thought the fabric dope top color had faded. After ordering some dope for a small repair it matched the fabric very well so I concluded the metal enamel must be the "wrong" color. Over time some metal belly panel parts needed replacement and repair so I resprayed all the metal parts with Randolph enamel and was pleasantly surprised at how well the new enamel now matched the dope. Here's a pic from camping at Sun N Fun this year on an overcast day.IMG_4465.JPG No stripes or other embellishments at this point. Still debating that. I kind of like it one simple color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    What colors are you using ?
    Our plane was delivered in navy blue ( ! ) but was re-covered and painted in a Sun Valley Ivory in 1987. I sent Randolph an inspection cover and they matched it very well.
    Quite different from today's SVI but we can re-order by number now... Cheers
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235