Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.50 dessers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8.50 dessers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Finally got my baby tundra tires on. What pressures do y'all recommend? And do you go straight to that pressure, or overfill a bit and come down to seat the bead?Attachment 14829

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    I think they look very nice and with you living in Colorado they should see plenty of off airport landings. what wheels and brakes do you have (Cleveland)? Did you have any issue with tire rubbing on the brake calipers? Do you mind showing a picture of the clearance between the tiers and the brake caliper?

Again, I think it looks nice and is probably all you need for the most off airport operation.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I think they look very nice and with you living in Colorado they should see plenty of off airport landings. what wheels and brakes do you have (Cleveland)? Did you have any issue with tire rubbing on the brake calipers? Do you mind showing a picture of the clearance between the tiers and the brake caliper?

Again, I think it looks nice and is probably all you need for the most off airport operation.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Thanks! I'm actually flying this pacer to Bettles, AK this summer and moving permenantly to Homer, AK in the fall. It will see alot of non paved strips up there!

I do have single puck Cleveland's. And there is very little clearance between the tire and the brake liner. But being the caliper is mounted about the 3 or 9 o clock position, I don't think it'll rub at all. Some wheels requires spacers for just this but my research (or rather Steve pierces) shows no spacers are needed. Sorry I don't have any photos of that though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    How do those slick 8.50's and 26"res wear on pavement? Have the opportunity to grab a set of slick 8.50's, but most if not all of my wheel ops end at a paved airport. Do they wear similarly to the larger BW's? Sorry if this is a repetitive question but I couldn't drag up anything relating to the smaller wheels in a search.
    26" Goodyears wear very little on pavement. They are a hard rubber compound with a very stiff sidewall. These Dessers have a softer sidewall but the rubber compound does not feel as soft as a Bushwheel. I don't think they will wear anything like a Bushwheel on pavement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I asked the same question on Back County and got a lot of good information, try this link:

https://backcountrypilot.org/communi...question-22703
    Awesome. Thanks for the info! Gobs of information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    26" Goodyears wear very little on pavement. They are a hard rubber compound with a very stiff sidewall. These Dessers have a softer sidewall but the rubber compound does not feel as soft as a Bushwheel. I don't think they will wear anything like a Bushwheel on pavement.
    Good to know. The used set I've stumbled upon are the AK bush wheels variety with the extra tread; I imagine they wear a good bit faster than the goodyears even with the extra tread.
    Last edited by wmvosburgh; 02-15-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: clarification; punctuation

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bushwheels have a soft sidewall and rubber compound which is very flexible but does wear on pavement. I run Bushwheels on my Super Cub and also ran them on my Pacer. I mow two grass areas at my airport that are about 800 feet that I operate off of. I also taxi on as much of the grass as possible. As a warning I have repaired wrecked airplanes from people landing on the grass at unfamiliar airports and hitting culverts, sliding down hills etc. trying to save their Bushwheels. Bushwheels are expensive but not as expensive as those repairs to engines and airframes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Here is my clearance. Tires are at 20# right now. Seems closer than even I remembered. Maybe someone can chime in on tolerance maybe? IMG_20190217_135738753.jpgIMG_20190217_135730676.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Single puck brake, what is the distance from inside the wheel to the outside edge of the brake disc? I am going to guess 2"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Single puck brake, what is the distance from inside the wheel to the outside edge of the brake disc? I am going to guess 2"?
    Inside of the wheel as in the same plane as the three mounting bolts/nuts? I'd guess about two inches. But I can measure it in the next couple days.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the side wall on the 20" Desser doesn't "bulge" out much towards the brakes. My brake calipers (Cleveland) look different than yours. The attached pictures show the clearance from the caliper to the tire (6.00x6) and the disc brake to the edge of the wheel hub. Just judging by your pictures, I should be OK. If not, than I have to move the bake disks out a little. My disks are Rapco 64-01900 1/4" thick.

My mechanic found a set of used Cleveland wheel hubs matching the ones I have on my Pacer. I just need to purchase matching disks and then I will be able to swap between the 20" Desser wheel set (for going West bound) and the regular 6.00x6 set with wheel pants for east Coast flying.

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images