Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

Well, I've gone and ordered a 4-cylinder CHT from Aerospace Logic. (Wasn't until after I ordered it that they replied they don't stock them but build to order. More waiting....)

Weather has finally begun to warm up here and it's becoming reasonable to work in our hangar. Exhaust is now installed, elbow heat muff & scat tube installed, working on a couple of safety wiring issues and still need to set & lock the lengths of the two steering rods. Once that's done & accepted by my A&P, along with yet another look-over to see that nothing's been forgotten (found one cotter pin missing so far), the cowl pieces can begin to be re-installed. Getting closer.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with the Aerospace Logic unit in the Colt. Works great, easy to read at a glance, easy install. No complaints. It did however take forever to show up. 4 Months I believe it was. Hopefully you get yours a little quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

EI for me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dont wait for it Walt. We want you up in the air man! I am sure your plane will fly like a dream and all your nightmares you had with it will fade away with a great big smile.

Post Thanks / Like

Aerospace Logic CHT arrived yesterday! (Now, where'd my A&P disappear to??)

Post Thanks / Like

My A&P OK'd my safety wire job on an oil cooler line nut (only took me 5 tries and one stabbed fingertip -OUCH!) so that's done, and I trial-fit one of the CHT bayonet probes into one of the new cylinders.

What a neat set-up! My old engine's cylinders didn't have that so I was limited to using the spark plug ring thing for the old single-cylinder gauge. This new way is going to be neat.

Gaining, one step at a time... (Of course, right now we've got 3" of wet snow all over the place -- so much for Spring!)

Post Thanks / Like

So now all four CHT leads are installed in the cylinder port pockets. Will meet with A&P today about wire routing & securing. 2-1/4" adapter plate(s) arrived yesterday from ACS and safety wire on oil cooler line nut is all set -- without stabbing myself!

DSC00072.JPG DSC00073.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is --and has been-- a frustratingly long process, but I really want to get everything right. (I do get lots of compliments, however, which definitely helps!)

Yesterday I fiddled a bit with 57A, then helped a friend change the nose wheel tube on a 172. Because the tire was REALLY stuck to the wheel halves, it took us about 3 hrs to get it apart (no vise, clamps, or tire breaker available), remove old tube, put in new one, clean up the wheel halves and re-mount the wheel and tire. Well, that what friends are for!

A&P finally got done with another job and showed up. We found a convenient way to get the CHT plugs & leads through the firewall, using the existing hole for the tachometer cable. Still have to route & secure the leads, but it was a relief to find a way to get the wires into the cabin area without having to remove the male plugs & then re-attach them while laying on our backs and working under the instrument panel!

We also discovered the adapter plate I got was not usable, so I'll have to order a different one.

What I got was a two-piece affair, ACS #07-1330. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...tingPlanes.php

Thinking now about ACS #10-01051, 3-1/8" to 2-1/4" reducer plate. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...aptorplate.php

Anybody have experience with this?

PS -- anybody want a free single-cylinder CHT gauge? (With spark-plug ring probe)

Still hangin' in there... Walt

DSC00030.JPG
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 04-24-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday A&P and I got the new CHT gauge in! Not powered up yet, but the leads are all run through the tach cable hole, new grommet installed, plug ends attached and gauge mounted. Still need to secure leads in the engine area, but we now have a plan for where they'll go. I also now have a new camera and am still getting used to it -- so pics aren't great, but here's where we are.

Need to keep wife happy, so we're leaving tomorrow with our small RV to go to MO for her brother's 40th wedding anniversary party... we'll be gone about 3 weeks and I hate to leave!

My A&P surprised me yesterday --shocked me, actually-- when we were talking about this, and he asked -- "Would you like to have the plane all back together with an annual and a test flight completed when you get back?"

Wow, that knocked me for a loop! "YES!!!" he went on to say, "I'm not saying I can get to it, but maybe." (Need to catch my breath here...)

SO-- it definitely looks like, after countless hours, quite a bit of cash and a boatload of help & support from this forum, 57A will really be back in the air this summer, after close to nine years.....

DSC00096.JPG DSC00094.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

That’s great. Can’t wait for the post that says “first flight completed after a nine year journey”. Go for it!

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z