Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Turn back to airport in a Tripe?

Buena Vista, CO (primary) and Hallettsville, Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Turn back to airport in a Tripe?

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Good test!

Just to clarify, you pulled the red handle and had a windmilling prop, right?

I’d say that’s pretty good real-world training.
    No I did not kill the engine. Balls not that big LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Have done this at different glide speeds?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve done similar/same kind of testing in my Tri-Pacer and might recommend you try shallowing up your turn bank angles on the turns to base and final. I make the downwind to base to final one very shallow turn to keep my altitude lost to a minimum. I also focus on making the turn very coordinated to keep the plane as efficient as possible. Also tried to stay to the low side of speed at 75 and not 80 mph. It helped some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Have done this at different glide speeds?
    No, but it's a good idea though! I tried to minimize variables for this first run...I did about 10 (or more) T&Gs this time. Was getting fatigued actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I’ve done similar/same kind of testing in my Tri-Pacer and might recommend you try shallowing up your turn bank angles on the turns to base and final. I make the downwind to base to final one very shallow turn to keep my altitude lost to a minimum. I also focus on making the turn very coordinated to keep the plane as efficient as possible. Also tried to stay to the low side of speed at 75 and not 80 mph. It helped some.
    Good points! Thanks! I was pretty close to the runway on down wind so I had pretty sharp bank in the turn, esp. onto base leg. A tight turn demands a lowered nose to steer clear of potential stall/spin (unlikely but why chance it!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topogen View Post
    In that case, you did it with the engine idling and not the prop windmilling.

What you did is still a good exercise, just remember that you’re likely to have a higher sink rate with the prop actually windmilling (engine not idling). Plan for extra altitude required if you’re going to attempt that turn in a real situation, and for going straight ahead or at slight angles to runway heading otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topogen View Post
    Going through spin training with my spin/aerobatic teacher in a Cessna Aerobat. After 10 to 12 turns during the spin, engine would stop running due to centrifugal force un-porting fuel pickups in the wing tanks, the propeller would stop windmilling, too. Very quiet! He liked to joke saying before re-start, open the window and holler "clear prop"!

This instructor conducted experiments with glide distance when propeller stopped windmilling, too. He said if he bumped the starter for the blades to cover cylinder cooling inlets, that would increase gliding distance, too.

Topogen agree, I'm not going to experiment with non-windmilling prop with the Vag with no electric system, this would require altitude and dive to get the engine windmilling again to start.
    Last edited by rideandfly; 02-16-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was perfect for flying so I did some additional experimentation. I want to know more about slow flight, power off stalls with and without flaps. Since I suspect my 60+ year old airspeed indicator is off (reads high), I want specific data and readouts for my airplane. Good experience with slow flight...very stable and now I'm more comfortable getting really slow using my wonky airspeed indicator as a reference. No stall warning buzzer (does any Pacer or Tripacer have these I wonder?) so its seat-of-the-pants on slow flight. Anyway, this thing is a big pussy cat on stalls, as others have noted. It's very tame in slow flight. After the air work, I went back to power-off landings to revisit. I was less timid and more confident getting the a/c slow on short final to 'stretch the glide' somewhat. Also, as some have suggested, flying over the runway about 2' AGL in ground effect was a useful experience.

I think an AOA indicator would be nice as well. If anybody has a pirep on using an AOA on a Tripe, I would love to hear about it (cost to install, utility, etc... its probably on the interwebs or the SWP site).

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this helps but just saw this on the AOPA live about figuring glide slope fast. Being a new owner been watching this thread. https://youtu.be/0BDZ-QHlexg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The El Monte Airport where I’m based is surrounded by resendential and commercial development for miles, so the options for a non injury forced landing on departure are not great. In the Summer of 2017 a Pazmany PL-2 Taiwan aircraft, flown by a very experienced and well known local pilot made the fatal decision to turn back. Had he landed more or less straight ahead, like we were all trained as students, I think he would still be with us.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uBZ0xP4avJU

I would think the very large aquaduct there would make a really good spot, wouldn't it? Especially if heading out on a north. Sorry to hear about that pilot.