Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Climb props on a tri-pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Climb props on a tri-pacer

P24C,
    I bought copies of the everything Univair had on 135 22/20. PM me with phone number and I'll answer any questions you have. On an earlier post you mentioned manifold pressure. Do you have a gauge and if so where is the pressure taken?

Post Thanks / Like

Everything I read says 25 RPM increase per inch pitch change static and 50RPM increase per inch in cruise with a Sensenich 74DM6 on a PA-22-20-150. I now have a Sensenich 74DM6-0-60 and I want to change to the best performing climb prop with the shortest takeoff. My Static is 2250 and the acceptable range is up tp 2480. So the way I see it I can repitch to a - 50 if I so desire. But is that the best choice and does the PA-22 -20-150 have a certified pitch range ?
    Last edited by da737retired@gmail.com; 08-06-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da737retired@gmail.com View Post
    Everything I read says 25 RPM increase per inch pitch change static and 50RPM increase per inch in cruise with a Sensenich 74DM6 on a PA-22-20-150. I now have a Sensenich 74DM6-0-60 and I want to change to the best performing climb prop with the shortest takeoff. My Static is 2250 and the acceptable range is up tp 2480. So the way I see it I can repitch to a - 50 if I so desire. But is that the best choice and does the PA-22 -20-150 have a certified pitch range ?

Getting the best performance depends on how legal you want to stay. Lots people including myself have used the 82X42 or 43 "borer" prop. I had one on my pacer. Swapped it out for a Sensenich Ground adjustable STOL prop and saw huge gains in take off and cruise over the borer prop. The vibration testing for the certification is taking place this week and next (if all goes according to plan) and hopefully Sensenich will have an STC soon. Of course, I am told the price will go up when the STC comes out but that they will "take care of" the guys that already have the prop at a lower price for the paperwork.

FWIW, the pitch pins that Sensenich have are in 2" increments and that gives you 32, 34, 36 etc. 34 was great for take off but cruise went down. 36 was better for cruise but take off and climb went down. I turned one of my pins down to give me 35 and that seems to be the sweet spot on mine as well as the 0300 my brother is running on his plane. The 150-160 HP engines really seem to like the 35 pitch.

Post Thanks / Like

My prop is currently 60 in pitch - so, your talking something totally different I'm interested in re -pitch of my Sensenich 74DM6-0-60 to say a 74DM6-0-52 or 74DM6-0-53 or 74DM6-0-54. And all legal and certified.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi retired, check with your prop shop to confirm, but If I remember correctly the most they are allowed to change pitch is 6 degrees. Moe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I'll check - Sensenich says 8

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know what pitch range that was certified for the PA-22-150 with the Sensenich 74DM6 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da737retired@gmail.com View Post
    My prop is currently 60 in pitch - so, your talking something totally different I'm interested in re -pitch of my Sensenich 74DM6-0-60 to say a 74DM6-0-52 or 74DM6-0-53 or 74DM6-0-54. And all legal and certified.
    Your original post was a bit misleading when you said you wanted the best prop for STOL. You are not going to come close to getting that with 74. You will get it better with less pitch, but not even in the same ball park as other props for STOL.

Post Thanks / Like

I copied this from a search

Vagabondblues

Join DateApr 2008LocationN/APosts578Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sensenich 76AM6-2-44 - part 2

I think the lifetime limit for re-pitch is 8 inches. So, if your prop has never been re-pitched the max you could go would be 52. Also, the 76AM and 76AM6 are the same per the type cert and Sensenich SB. The only real difference is date of manufacture. To me that means AD 54-05-02 applies to your prop when installed on the 290 D and D2. Finally Sensenich says to avoid any operation of your prop at 2500 RPM. http://www.sensenich.com/files/docum...1261680645.pdf. http://www.sensenich.com/files/docum...1303228075.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Understand & thanks - But I'm sticking with the Sensenich 74DM6 and trying to get the best STOL I can out of it.