Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering purchase of a hangar queen Tri-Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Considering purchase of a hangar queen Tri-Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Just a support note for Steve's point...

If you goal is to rebuild an airplane, then buying a project makes sense.

But if your goal is to fly an airplane, you will spend less money and time getting yourself in the air if you save money until you can buy the flying one in good condition. It takes a ton of money and time to wade through a project. If you are considering it because you think it will cost less, then you have a bad plan.
    Troy has said it perfectly......
    speaking from experience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Just a support note for Steve's point...

If you goal is to rebuild an airplane, then buying a project makes sense.

But if your goal is to fly an airplane, you will spend less money and time getting yourself in the air if you save money until you can buy the flying one in good condition. It takes a ton of money and time to wade through a project. If you are considering it because you think it will cost less, then you have a bad plan.
    Thanks Troy
    I think I am looking for a project. Something to keep me interested. I understand there will be more costs to put this one back in the air. Plus I want a really simple and inexpensive to maintain putter about airplane to enjoy. I'm worried it might be a bit much for me to handle but I have good mechanic who lets me help so I think I will be ok.
    Russ
    Last edited by WebRuss; 11-04-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand if you are buying a project because it lets you convince your wife it will be cheaper than buying a flying airplane and gives you unlimited excuses for going to the airport then that's a win-win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RRHall View Post
    On the other hand if you are buying a project because it lets you convince your wife it will be cheaper than buying a flying airplane and gives you unlimited excuses for going to the airport then that's a win-win.
    HA HA HA! My wife is too smart for that. But she lets me have my toy because she knows where I am and I'm not getting into too much mischief.

Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

"I think I am looking for a project."

​Regardless of the motives, you'll not be sorry for learning the internals through experience with your Piper.

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on the project & the person. I picked up a PA-16 that was out of annual for 6 years & had a known bad magneto for a really good price. Put a mag on it on the ramp, timed it, ferried it home over two days, total of about 11 hours. Did an annual on it in a bit over a week, changed out the transponder for an Apareo ESG to be ADSB compliant & have it in the air now, well not right this minute, got the rear door off to re-fabric the inside of the door, but that goes back on with 2 screws, so I don't really count that as being AOG. There are deals to be had & deals to be passed on, again depends on the project & the person

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    Troy has said it perfectly......
    speaking from experience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WebRuss View Post
    Thanks Troy
    I think I am looking for a project. Something to keep me interested. I understand there will be more costs to put this one back in the air. Plus I want a really simple and inexpensive to maintain putter about airplane to enjoy. I'm worried it might be a bit much for me to handle but I have good mechanic who lets me help so I think I will be ok.
    Russ
    Sounds good. I like working on planes but I have to have one that is flying...so my second plane can be a project.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey All. I purchased the plane and moved it into my hangar. After a thorough wash it I can at least see a bit more of it.
    Sure in rough shape, but on first inspection the bones seem solid. Everything rubber is dry rotted and a bunch of parts are in boxes. All the metal tubing has some sort of rust inhibitor on it. like thick black paint.
    Russ
    IMG_20221105_152527499.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Is that Comanche in the photo also yours?
    Brian
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! She will be a labor of love. And — you have saved her from the junk pile! Well, done.