Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Found it. Selected (positions only-flights) on my FlightAware account page and the tracking maps list are now displayed. It's interesting that the tracking starts and ends at airports nearest your route of flight instead of the actual geographic location when your departing or approaching the coverage area. Good to know for about what point ATC can see you for knowing when to contact approach or their going to lose you for flight following purposes. [N1684P radar contact lost squawk VFR good day].

Thanks again. Apologize for the thread creep but somewhat on topic I got my rebate check yesterday. Now back to the regular program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fossil; 05-18-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fossil View Post
    Found it. Selected (positions only-flights) on my FlightAware account page and the tracking maps list are now displayed. It's interesting that the tracking starts and ends at airports nearest your route of flight instead of the actual geographic location when your departing or approaching the coverage area. Good to know for about what point ATC can see you for knowing when to contact approach or their going to lose you for flight following purposes. [N1684P radar contact lost squawk VFR good day].

Thanks again. Apologize for the thread creep but somewhat on topic I got my rebate check yesterday. Now back to the regular program.
    As I pointed out to Gilbert, do not confuse FlightAware ADS-B coverage with FAA ADS-B coverage. The FAA has ADS-B ground stations at 4 sites in the DFW area. The attached graphic shows the FlightAware ADS-B sites in the DFW area.

Also, the FAA has only two airports in the DFW area with surface ADS-B coverage, DFW and Rhome Meadows. The latter is only because the ground station is very close to the airport. Check out this FlightAware page: https://flightaware.com/adsb/coverage#surface-coverage You should find 20+ airports with surface coverage in the DFW area. If there is surface coverage, you can expect to be tracked all the way to or from the ground at those locations.

The point is that just because FlightAware is tracking you, there is no guarantee that you're in FAA ADS-B coverage. Keep in mind that there are still radars out there that aren't being considered here, and ATC will continue to use radar as "primary" until 2020 and as "backup" thereafter.

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A
    Last edited by 6PapaWhiskey; 05-18-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a basic user and can see parts of my flights. I have a basic user free account.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Looks like all of the rebates have been reserved.
    https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/
    Crap... I wonder if they will be able to create more rebates. I would guess that it's a budget line item that would need to be increased taking money from some place else so probably not.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They will probably find some more money for rebates. I would be that many people went ahead and applied for the rebate and did the ADS-B thing to recoup a few bucks, not necessarily find themselves in compliance with the Jan 2020 mandate. Other than being inside of Class D airspace for my home airport and w/in the TRSA I just didn't want to miss out on 500. That covers the cost of purchasing skylight once UAvionix starts shipping it.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

we had failed our first ADS-B proving flight but passed on Monday after keeping turns and banks to a minimum... thanks all

20190527 ads-b test.jpg
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of droop tips is this. Installed a SkyBeacon no adapter or spacer necessary.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-10-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure those are the Plane Booster tips. The light is mounted much lower on the curve with those than ours. We have the Madras tips that mount at the top of the curve and therfore requires a spacer for the blade to clear.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Another ADS-b legal plane flying!
    That skybeacon is a very clean simple solution that only required 25 min time for the actual install. Pretty good fit and doesn't look bad. [They should
    have used my plane for the demo at sun and fun]
    Fortunately I am short enough that walking around the plane does not endanger the winglet antenna.
    In the air, during my flight, I looked out at the wingtip and did NOT see the device!
    I thought oh crap, has it fallen off??!!!!! But when I landed it was securely there. Sitting up in the cockpit blocked my vision of it.
    All is well, and the FAA report came back as passed

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree w/ Old3Pacer, I'm vertically challenged so hitting the Skybeacon isn't a big concern for me. Being able to see it from the cockpit is pretty difficult though. I've got to go through a few contortions to see if the red power light is on. That being said, finished my ADS-B rebate flight today. Passed w/ flying colors (all being green). I know a few folks have had some initial issues with the Skybeacon talking with their transponder. I didn't have any of those issues and the system worked the first time out. So far I am very pleased with Uavionix. Now I'm just waiting for them to ramp up the Skylight production for the green position light. I am really impressed with the LED position lights and strobe. Even with only the red position light and strobe, I no longer have the feedback that I had previously when using the strobes. LED position lights along with taxi and landing lights have moved to the top of my easy to do list.

Greg