Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stepped up Prop Flange Bushing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stepped up Prop Flange Bushing

Your O-320 no suffix should be the same as an O-320-A1A. You didn't say what it is installed on, but if it is a PA-22-150, it is supposed to have an O320-A2A or A2B. I'm guessing that the engine was installed via STC on either a PA-20 or a PA-22-135. It should have listed the applicable prop. The 7/16" bushings are the correct size for your engine. You need to decide if it is a Major or Minor alteration to change the bushings and flywheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Your O-320 no suffix should be the same as an O-320-A1A. You didn't say what it is installed on, but if it is a PA-22-150, it is supposed to have an O320-A2A or A2B. I'm guessing that the engine was installed via STC on either a PA-20 or a PA-22-135. It should have listed the applicable prop. The 7/16" bushings are the correct size for your engine. You need to decide if it is a Major or Minor alteration to change the bushings and flywheel.

The data plate says 0-320 3

It is in a 1953 PA-22 converted to tail dragger under the Univair STC. I don't have the logs with me or I would look through them as I can't recall what the engine info said on it.

Its the wrong flywheel for that engine so it has to be changed regardless. Its up to my IA to decide about major or minor mods, I just get to sit with my hands under my butt try to be patient and pay money. I am just locating parts and figuring out what is needed to speed up the process of putting our prop on. This went from what should have been a simple legal prop swap to a debacle in a few minutes.
    Last edited by Broncoformudv; 07-05-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s a 1953, then it started life as a PA-22 or a PA22-135. There should be an STC somewhere in the records to install the 150hp engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s a 1953, then it started life as a PA-22 or a PA22-135. There should be an STC somewhere in the records to install the 150hp engine.

According to the STC for the 8241 prop its good for any O-320 150/160 engine. I ordered the prop STC from Svenns.

"The aircraft must have a Lycoming O-320 150hp or 160 hp engine and meet the ground clearance requirements set forth in the FAR's. Installation of 8:50 tires with conventional landing gear or installation on floats will yield the required clearance."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stepped up Prop Flange Bushing

Do you have McCauley drawing C-1968?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have McCauley drawing C-1968?

Nope never heard of that. This is our first plane so learning as we go.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried locating McCauley drawing C-1968 but had no luck, did find several documents referencing it but no actual document to read. From the little I could find it says the 1A175GM prop has to be installed on a #2 flange which my engine has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoformudv View Post
    Nope never heard of that. This is our first plane so learning as we go.
    The TCDS for the prop calls for the prop to be installed per that drawing. You might reach out to McCauley and ask them.

Post Thanks / Like

The TCDS for the prop calls for the prop to be installed per that drawing. You might reach out to McCauley and ask them.

Not that worried about installing the prop properly. The issue is my prop flange has the wrong size bushings to install my correct prop. So the previous owner drilled the prop bolt holes out to accept the larger bolts and installed a flywheel froom a O-290 instead of one from a O-320. So I am trying to fix those two issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think he would install IAW the STC. Pretty simple, install and torque. At least it should have been if someone hadn't changed the prop bushings on his engine and then to drill the prop. That had to be a sign to the previous installer but some people just don't care.