Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Odyssey Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Odyssey Battery

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliots View Post
    If you want an Odyssey battery with more cranking amps, the Odyssey PC925MJ is also approved via the STC SA-02734CH. It is a larger battery, don't know offhand the amps. I read about the installation in a SWP magazine article written by Frank Seperando (July/Aug 2013) I will stay with my Gill 35 for now as it is only 2 years old and fits perfect in my battery box with no mods, etc.
    Here is the statement on Svenn's website on the STC:

SA-02734CH: Installation of Lightweight Battery and Circuit Breaker master switch. If you want your aircraft to loose some weight there is no easier way then to install this simple STC. This STC replaces the original battery with a Power Safe SBS-J16 (identical to the Oddesy) lightweight gel battery, and it goes in the original battery box. This STC also allows the option of replacing the original master switch and fuses with a circuit breaker master switch. Applicable models are all Piper PA-22 and PA-20 aircraft.

As I read the article when it was initially published, it just didn't seem to pass the "sniff test". I took umbrage at the reference to the Svenn STC, as I have that STC on 44K. Additionally, I was fully aware that the STC states a specific battery (see above), and wondered how Mr. Miss Pearl could reference it to install another battery? As the article progressed, a B&C battery P/N BC100-1-MJ is referenced as being installed in his SWP.
    "Pearl has installed in her most of B & C’s major products, including the BC100-MJ battery. (MJ- Metal Jacket- see photo below)."
    However, the referenced photo is of an Odyssey, so I was confused even then. A check of the B&C website http://www.bandc.biz/sealedrgrecombi...taljacket.aspx revealed that this battery is labeled "FOR EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ONLY". Once again, the B&C nor the Odyssey batteries are listed in the Svenn STC.
    As the article progressed, Sperandeo shows photos of his installation technique, which is totally different than the procedures called out in the STC, and IMHO of questionable construction and technique.
    After stating what a great product the B&C battery is (and I am sure that it is), he goes on to state: An SWPC member might be able to
    find the identical battery at a local battery shop. It is an Odyssey and the stock number is # PC925MJ.
    . Well, I don't believe that you have to be a SWPC member to purchase this battery at a local battery shop. But, I digress. After stating that the B&C (which is intended for aircraft use..albeit experimental) is installed in his plane, he goes on to photo document the installation of an Odyssey automotive/LTV battery.
    As I am on the road, I do not have the STC paperwork available, but will reference it when I get home.
    Last edited by pa20; 01-30-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not only does it last longer, you don't get lead acid spewed down the belly of your airplane with the Hawker/Odyssey battery.

Post Thanks / Like

I just dumped my Gill for a Odyssey this fall and thus far have been very pleased. I'm in Alaska but I can't say that this winter has been much of a test (at least lately). I think that coldest that I have had to start so far has only been 20F or so.

One note is that the Svenn's STC is a little vague if you don't have an alternator.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got out a couple times last few days. Everything is better, including my opinion of my battery, since I got new battery cables and a new starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok reading all this, this late in the day, I'm confused. I have a copy of Gilbert's 337 putting the SBS J-16 in his Clipper. Replacing the Gill G-25. My trike had the Gill G-35 in it. How do approve that. Do I need a 337 or STC even though the PC680 is FAA/PMA approved in the PA-18?

Post Thanks / Like

Sven's Aviation sells STC for battery and replacing fuses with C/B master switch. You will need STC or field approval to make it legal. Battery is PMA'd for PA-18. Battery is a lot smaller dimensionally than G-35, so you will need to fabricate a strap to hold it in battery box. STC has all drawings for strap and C/B master switch. If you get field approval you will have to mske a drawing of battery installation and securing device.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Now I know why my Odyssey has lasted trouble free for so long.
    Being a manufacturing type guy I was impressed with their process.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Odyssey! When I'm traveling for work sometimes I don't get to fly for a couple of months. My airplane always starts right up. Never charge the battery!

Post Thanks / Like

Default preference on battery

The battery in my Tri-Pacer isn't holding a charge anymore. And seeming as my wife really doesn't like me hand propping, we(she) decided time for a new battery.
    A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from others. So I ask unto all you with your exponentially greater volume of experience than I, what battery do you recommend?

I have the lead acid g-35 in there now and would really like to get away from these leaky lead acid batteries.