Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do...

Jason
    If I understand you takeoff technique correctly you are trying to fly off the ground from a 3 point stance with the tailwheel being the last thing to leave the ground. If this is the case than I think as you add that extra pressure you are creating more drag on the tailwheel (holding it on the ground) and that is why you settle back down. The same thing will happen if you lift the tail up high and rotate too early letting it hit the ground. The plane will get draggy just as you describe. You AOA theory could also come into play. What prop are you running? Remember a cruise prop will not rip you up like a Borer. There are reasons I am not big fan of taking off from a three point attitude. But, if you do, try not pulling back on the yoke so much, and play with your trim a bit to see what works best.

As for landing I agree with Steve, leave some power in. Try flying 6 inches off the runway with full flaps at around 1800 RPM (or whatever RPM it takes to keep you in the just off the runway) run the full length that way and see what it takes to make the tailwheel touch but not the mains. You should be able to fly 1-3 mph slower in ground effect and the tail will be lower than the mains. This will give you a good feel of where you tail is with power on. Now go back and do 3 pointers backing the power down until you are not landing tailwheel first. With power on it should fly right on. Doing a good three point landing is much harder than a wheel landing so be patient it will come.

The wheel hop thing is because of the higher AOA you are still producing a lot of lift until the speed drops. Just wheel land it like any good bush pilot would and keep the yoke forward ("pin the mains to the runway") and tail up until the tail settles on its own.
    Just be careful with hard braking when you do this.

Overall sounds like you are doing great I still have to work hard to make a smooth landing so hang in there!!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I do have a Borer. Sounds like I need to play around a little more. I only ever use the three point takeoff when carrying certain passengers like my Mom, who leans away from the door when you bank right. Otherwise its one notch of flaps and full forward on the controls until I'm almost at takoff speed, then pull back. I'm going to incorporate all you guy's suggestions next time I get out. Thanks! Oh and I meant to add the picture was from my practice "runway" seeming as the 135 guys keep getting in the way at the real airport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Yep, I do have a Borer. Sounds like I need to play around a little more. I only ever use the three point takeoff when carrying certain passengers like my Mom, who leans away from the door when you bank right. Otherwise its one notch of flaps and full forward on the controls until I'm almost at takoff speed, then pull back. I'm going to incorporate all you guy's suggestions next time I get out. Thanks! Oh and I meant to add the picture was from my practice "runway" seeming as the 135 guys keep getting in the way at the real airport.
    Couple of questions for you, if you don't mind:

Are you 150 or 160 hp? What is the pitch of your prop? What is your static RPM?

I am currently a narrow 150 hp with an 82/44 prop. I can only squeak out 2300 on static, which is on the lower side of things. My performance is OK, but not quite what I think I can get out of the craft. I can get off the ground in less than 400' as stated above, but the climb out is rather pathetic until I get close to 65 or 70 mph indicated. Of course the POH indicates Vx at 70, but I have extended wings and vg's, so that has to help a bit.
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

150 hp narrow deck with the 82/44 borer. Not sure on static seeming as prop just got refurbished and I don't want to chance a rock ding. Best climb for me is at 80mph where with just me and half fuel is about 1100fpm might get better as I get better. Near gross its about half that. Stock wings and tail. I'm a low time guy, less than 50hrs tailwheel and just over 200 total, so I've lots to learn yet. This forum is my way of chatting around the proverbial coffee pot seeming as I'm the lone ranger pacer here in Cordova, everything else is cubs, cessnas or beavers.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an opportunity for coffee and note sharing! Cheers
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

My pacer would not pick up the tail until I was around 30mph. I was trained to do full forward on the controls but on tar it only adds more drag so I started waiting until the tail was ready to fly before I picked it up. On dirt/soft stuff depending on tailwheel it may or may not help to pick it up early. Try a lot of stuff and see what works for you and your plane. Sounds like both you guys are in the ballpark with your numbers. I have a 82/40 you can try but it will kill you top end.

For the people that have never been to Cordova Ak it is a very beautiful place! But, one hell of a spot to learn to fly!! First and every flight is a mountain flight. Strip is basically at sea level in a pass, big turbulent winds are common takeoff is over water or town with little bailout. Throw in low ceiling, rain, fog, ice, and snow. Learn to fly there you will do well everywhere!!!!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

So how's it going with the Bushwheels?

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    150 hp narrow deck with the 82/44 borer. Not sure on static seeming as prop just got refurbished and I don't want to chance a rock ding. Best climb for me is at 80mph where with just me and half fuel is about 1100fpm might get better as I get better. Near gross its about half that. Stock wings and tail. I'm a low time guy, less than 50hrs tailwheel and just over 200 total, so I've lots to learn yet. This forum is my way of chatting around the proverbial coffee pot seeming as I'm the lone ranger pacer here in Cordova, everything else is cubs, cessnas or beavers.

Post Thanks / Like

Good, figured out most of what I was noticing was me. Last couple of times I was up there was no one around so I didn't have to fly a proper pattern. I'd take off and as soon as I was airborn I'd turn, only climb to 250 AGL and come right back around and land. On the 1900' gravel crosswind strip I could land, come to a complete stop and take of again. Doing this I got about 20 or 25 landings in an hour. Did this twice and it really helped.

Then last night flew to Katalla where there's a little gravel strip in the trees (maybe 800" long). Thought about landing, at least drag it. Was all set up for a nice low and slow approach over the trees when I heard something go "clunk" back by the tail. That startled me so I poked the coals to it and headed home. Back at the hanger everything looked good so I suspect I clipped the tip of a spruce tree with a tailbrace wire. Apperently a little too low on that low and slow approach. Have to work on dropping it in if I ever want to land there.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Sounds like things are going very well for you! I have had to dodge a few tree tops this year myself, but have been successful so far. I am finding that I can get off the ground quite quickly but can't climb until I get to 65 or 70 mph! I'll have to work on that one. I am really looking at port and polishing the cylinders this winter and gaining some HP. There is a great thread that has encouraged me on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I admire you trying to land on a 800 inch long strip!
    Tony N