Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: 57A going back together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A going back together

I believe, in the from-the-factory 1956 instrument panel, the tach was over to the left (can anyone confirm this?). PO had re-worked the IP to "6-pack" config, moving the tach over to the right. I measured the cable that was in there, and it was 32.5", the exact dimension of the original cable, according to Univair.

So when his folks red-did the IP, they just bent up that original cable rather than replace it with a shorter one. The 26" cable I got from ACS fit perfectly... and was a bit less than 1/2 the cost of the OEM cable from Univair....

Problem, according to my CFI and A&P, was that the tach read about 200 RPM low, and the needle "wiggled." It's a Mitchell replacement tach, installed sometime when PO had it. (Probably because the OEM tach read low?) Anyway, I hope it's OK now but we have some more work to do before the next test flight.

Just got word that the radio & wiring harness are now ready for my A&P to install, but now we're dealing with every-other-day snow "events." Yesterday's dropped 10" of very dense snow; Wednesday's will be perhaps a bit less, then another next Sunday night... after a relatively mild couple of months, it's really beginning to look like winter around here. Read yesterday that the Alton Bay Ice Runway B18 on Lake Winnipesaukee will NOT open this year -- not enough ice.
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 01-24-2023 at 04:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Instrument panel is on page 19 of the 1960 owners manual. Looks like it is, from left to right on the bottom row, clock, altimeter and tach.

Post Thanks / Like

Pull the tack cable out and lube it, they get dry after a while. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Did that, Denny, thanks for the suggestion.

Took cable out, flushed out with gasoline, then WD-40, then lightweight (air tool) oil, then 30W non-detergent oil. Got lots of rust-colored garbage out of it, improved it somewhat, but I think the real issue was the sharp bend(s) in the cable because it was much longer than necessary with the tach now on the right side. Decided to bite the bullet and for about $80 got a brandy-new shorter one from ACS, which should work much better.

...Anybody want a "reconditioned" OEM 32.5" tach cable?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice thread!

Looking good Walt! You’ve been in the “Championship rounds” of this challenge and put forth an outstanding effort!

Can’t wait to see you out enjoying flying her soon!

Cheers,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, John.

Still plugging away -- the new com radio (Garmin GTR-225) arrived, with made-up wiring harness; old radio, an Edo-Aire, now removed. Still need to get the tray out, but at least our -20F weather has gone back to the arctic! All cowls back on --again-- in anticipation of next test flight. On and on....

Post Thanks / Like

So,, some progress on replacing the radio. My A&P wants to know what folks are doing with their PTT switches -- my plane had a velcroed-on PTT switch on the yoke, but he's thinking of drilling a small hole in the yoke(s) and installing some more-or-less permanent push-button momentary switches. What are others doing? Is this a good idea or not?

Looking for suggestions -- Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people have installed PTT switches-
    some drill yokes, some install pressure switch on the backside of the yoke
    some have installed a PTT above the throttle and reach the switch with their index finger

Post Thanks / Like

I made a bracket designed like an adell clamp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Velcro and go fly. Save the enhancements for bad weather days.