Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

I just found out if you have ADSB-OUT Flight Aware tracks and records your flight from the FAA data. Evidently they can get it only if you are near controlled airspace.
    Looking at the record of my flight to SnF and back the FAA only got parts of it. Based on the piecemeal tracking of that trip I have concluded the FAA isn’t even close to being ready with NEXTGEN by January 1,2020. I had the anonymous mode deactivated for the entire trip.

The other scary thing is when I typed in my N number into FlightAware my full name came up along with a picture of my airplane at Airventure taken in 2016.

Big brother is monitoring us. Glad I installed the anonymous mode switch. But you only go anonymous after the first 10 minutes of flight so they can probably still identify if they want to and have a complete track. They only got about 30 minutes of my 5 hour flight to and from Lakeland.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-03-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I just found out if you have ADSB-OUT Flight Aware tracks and records your flight from the FAA data. Evidently they can get it only if you are near controlled airspace.
    Looking at the record of my flight to SnF and back the FAA only got parts of it. Based on the piecemeal tracking of that trip I have concluded the FAA isn’t even close to being ready with NEXTGEN by January 1,2020. I had the anonymous mode deactivated for the entire trip.

The other scary thing is when I typed in my N number into FlightAware my full name came up along with a picture of my airplane at Airventure taken in 2016.

Big brother is monitoring us. Glad I installed the anonymous mode switch. But you only go anonymous after the first 10 minutes of flight so they can probably still identify if they want to and have a complete track. They only got about 30 minutes of my 5 hour flight to and from Lakeland.
    If you would quit doing all that bad stuff you wouldn't be scared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    If you would quit doing all that bad stuff you wouldn't be scared.
    Maybe try flying above 100ft AGL
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Probably only got about 30 minutes of a 10 hour round trip because I was down there in the tree tops following you.

Post Thanks / Like

I read where someone had said that anonymous mode wouldn’t be authorized after Jan 2020.

I haven’t verified that myself though.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t heard that but it can only be used when flying VFR, 1200. Of course if not in the Mode C veil or other controlled airspace just turn it off. Yes I know that’s illegal. How many pilots with transponders don’t turn them on?
    Half the air planes I get involved with that have transponders haven’t been checked in years.

Just fly at Steve’s normal cruise altitude and ATC will never see you until they get the satellite system operational; that won’t be in my lifetime.

An interesting side note: For the whole round trip to SnF I had ADSB-IN coverage and my transponder was blinking the whole time indicating it was replying. I wonder why the UAT978 receivers weren't or the system was not getting my UAT978 output? Not that I am worried. Just wondering.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-03-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Then I'll paint mine camo like Tony's.
    IMG_20190414_161707.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    I only see your plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just finished the install of SkyBeacon. Pretty painless. Took just under an hour. Had some screws that were uncooperative on an inspection panel that was the cause of the delay as well as removing some worn wiring. Pretty straightforward. Used 1/4 in of spacer to complete. Both position light and strobe are working. Power is provided by my Nav Light switch.IMG_3288.jpgIMG_3293.jpgIMG_3298.jpgIMG_3300.jpgIMG_3302.jpgIMG_3304.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice.
    Looks like a head butt would snap it off.
    Talk to your insurance folks, they should have it on record that you installed a $2000 gadget that might be susceptible to theft or damage. That would probably be worth $50 or something additional premium each year I think.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"