Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N7323k

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: N7323k

The really sht thing about these type of accidents, or even worse CFIT, there are these portable EFIS now that are relatively inexpensive, I paid $1,600. for my GRT mini. Without being rated it may not have helped him, but when I got my private I remember having to do basic attitude instrument work so we all have been exposed to instrument flying, so its possible having something like the dynon D5 or the GRT Mini below could have saved his life if he was able to overcome the inner ear balance sensations without being instrument rated and proficient.

I waited like this pilot did and got myself into unforcast IMC before buying mine, I am rated though and was able to fly on just turn coordinator and altimeter and vsi and made it back to the Earth safely. So I can see how not spending $1,600. on a mini EFIS seems important until after the fact.. the good thing that comes out of these accidents are maybe someone will splurge and buy a portable EFIS and learn to fly instruments enough to get out of trouble if you find yourself in the soup unexpectidly

Looking at his radar track log he got turned around to 050° a complete 180 turn without loosing altitude.. so he almost got out of it..

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    I spent $1,600. for the GRT Mini http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-sys...aviation-efis/

Synthetic vision, enroute GPS navigation and LNAV / VNAV type synthetic approach to any airport even grass runways they're all in its database

Last edited by SMO22; 09-06-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate speculating on these. It seems that he had the altitude to clear it, although just barely. Most likely the weather turned him around and he successfully complete a 180. I would guess that the same weather that cause him to turn around would also make the conditions just right for building carb ice. Relatively low time guy, partial panel already and then toss in a sputtering engine. I can see the loss of altitude in a heart beat if he was trying to troubleshoot and took his eye off the gauges for just a few seconds. Been there and done that on an engine out and its mind boggling how quick you can loose altitude when you don't focus on flying the plane.

I agree on the EFIS. Most Portable aviation GPS have a screen that would have gotten him out of trouble as do most phone or tablet apps. The fact that he made the 180 leads me to think something else might have been tossed into the **** mix that ended this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Kats report page has some pics, must have came down hard

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/0...2-2020-in.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    The really sht thing about these type of accidents, or even worse CFIT, there are these portable EFIS now that are relatively inexpensive, I paid $1,600. for my GRT mini. Without being rated it may not have helped him, but when I got my private I remember having to do basic attitude instrument work so we all have been exposed to instrument flying, so its possible having something like the dynon D5 or the GRT Mini below could have saved his life if he was able to overcome the inner ear balance sensations without being instrument rated and proficient.

I waited like this pilot did and got myself into unforcast IMC before buying mine, I am rated though and was able to fly on just turn coordinator and altimeter and vsi and made it back to the Earth safely. So I can see how not spending $1,600. on a mini EFIS seems important until after the fact.. the good thing that comes out of these accidents are maybe someone will splurge and buy a portable EFIS and learn to fly instruments enough to get out of trouble if you find yourself in the soup unexpectidly

Looking at his radar track log he got turned around to 050° a complete 180 turn without loosing altitude.. so he almost got out of it..

He had an attitude indicator on hand, the iPad with the Stratux. Heck the VFR version of FlyQ has senthetic vision. No need for a $1600, although it would be nice... I have an app on my phone that is also on my Stratux so if the iPad dies I have other options.

Ken

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

He’d borrowed my Stratux. It didn’t have an IMU- so it wasn’t providing AHRS information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I looked at his FB page and looked like he was having an amazing adventure. Would loved to have met him and heard about some of his adventures. I have goofed around in ad weather and gotten lucky. I don't have the equipment nor the experience and doubt that I could do it with all the equipment listed. Time to spare go by air is my motto. Ill sit it out and see some new sites and meet new people. I wish I had had that attitude in my younger years.

Post Thanks / Like

I flew a nighttime long XC a couple of years without any gyros. I found it very disorienting even though it was a severe clear night with a bright moon. It didn’t occur to me at the time I could have used the level in my phone but I was using the phone as a flashlight to keep an eye on airspeed and altitude and for navigation. The next day I ordered a Garmin G5 for my personal aircraft because I didn’t want to get caught in it after dark without gyros.

I have also gotten caught in visibility less than a mile without any gyros. Fortunately, I had a good view of the ground (flat land) so reversing course to get out of it wasn’t a problem. A cell tower gave me a good scare when it suddenly appeared off my right wingtip though. It’s best to stay out of those situations.

Both instances were work related. Not flying for pleasure nor convenience.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 09-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

NTSB released their preliminary report on this one today. Sadly, as I suspected, it appears the pilot did a 180 in the face of clouds or inclement weather and then likely became disoriented and entered a graveyard spiral in the low visibility conditions.

N7323K-tracklog.jpeg

Such a tragic end to this guy's adventure across the country. Rest in peace, Nicolas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bewareofleopard View Post
    NTSB released their preliminary report on this one today. Sadly, as I suspected, it appears the pilot did a 180 in the face of clouds or inclement weather and then likely became disoriented and entered a graveyard spiral in the low visibility conditions.

N7323K-tracklog.jpeg

Such a tragic end to this guy's adventure across the country. Rest in peace, Nicolas!
    I was looking at this again and realized that it was just 2 minutes from flying along happily to the end. I've never experienced spacial disorientation and it blows my mind how quick it can swallow you? If one does have an attitude indicator, is it simply a matter of paying attention to it to keep yourself safe?

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    I was looking at this again and realized that it was just 2 minutes from flying along happily to the end. I've never experienced spacial disorientation and it blows my mind how quick it can swallow you? If one does have an attitude indicator, is it simply a matter of paying attention to it to keep yourself safe?

Jan

It looked like he was doing ok and got turned around.... but he never leveled the wings and than during the second 360 the turn tightened and went into a "death spiral" If he would have leveled the wings after 180° he would have been ok.

Its not easy if you haven't trained instrument flying. A pilot that keeps proficient its easy.. you disconnect or disable the inner ear balance sense, layman term, you learn like you mentioned to just interpret the instrument indications and fly by them. But to a pilot that hasn't had training its not as easy as "just look at the instruments and fly" JFK Jr well he may have just not referenced the instruments and flew by his balance sense and lost control.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 09-18-2020 at 06:04 PM.