Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Modernizing the Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Modernizing the Pacer?

Dynon Skyview including auto pilot.
    Garmin 650 type radio.
    Complete re-wire.
    Electronic Ignition
    180 Hp with CS prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add: Slotted Wings

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is your mission? That would be the first question. I bought a T18 Thorp a while back and keep looking at the 1977 panel and avionics. I got excited thinking of the possibilties because of it being experimental. It quickly became aparent that I would be sending thousands of dollars to replace things that work fine with these great new wonders to fly day vfr from point A to point B which I do right now just fine with the bare minimum instruments and an older handheld GPS. The new stuff is really nice but I would rather spend the money flying it and going places. I am sure I will slowly upgrade the radio, transponder and engine instrumentation starting with a fuel flow gauge a friend gave me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What is your mission? That would be the first question. I bought a T18 Thorp a while back and keep looking at the 1977 panel and avionics. I got excited thinking of the possibilties because of it being experimental. It quickly became aparent that I would be sending thousands of dollars to replace things that work fine with these great new wonders to fly day vfr from point A to point B which I do right now just fine with the bare minimum instruments and an older handheld GPS. The new stuff is really nice but I would rather spend the money flying it and going places. I am sure I will slowly upgrade the radio, transponder and engine instrumentation starting with a fuel flow gauge a friend gave me.
    I'm at the same place with my Pacer, have a 430w sitting on the shelf but have an ipad mini mounted in the plane that does everything I need to do. Would like to finish my IFR rating, but have no plans to fly actual IFR in the Pacer.....

Post Thanks / Like

If you're doing the complete rebuild I would consider some of the x-brace modifications discussed in this thread:
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hlight=x-brace
    I'm thinking this would be a big priority if I had the fuselage bare for an upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    If you're doing the complete rebuild I would consider some of the x-brace modifications discussed in this thread:
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hlight=x-brace
    I'm thinking this would be a big priority if I had the fuselage bare for an upgrade.
    The Pacer has a V structure overhead like a Husky so it is pretty good in that area. Brian does something like an X in the tail.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t add any fancy avionics to mine, maybe a Garmin G5. But some carbon fiber here and there and those slotted flaps would be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a Garmin G5 in my Thorp because it didn't have an attitude indicator or a vacuum system. I occasionally lose the GPS signal in the turns so I recommend using an external antenna with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ak drifter on the g5, I'd probably install 2 and throw out the ancient dg and ai. That would also allow me to use the second one as the vor(if ever), I'd probably go with a cgr 30p and install the fly pad on the right side just like Mark. I'm not excited about the surface mount look of the g5's so I'd machine a flush mount for them and go back over the whole panel with a factory style bezel. For sure I'd do the airframe SB and ad a pilot door and the skylight. Then I'd rewire, install LEDs and a uavionix adsb, then I'd pillage all the excess weight. I'd get really excited if I could use oratex. Once I decided on the mission (bush or xc) I'd install -18 gear, tail and cartoon rubber, or streamline for speed. Oh and a O360 and cs.... So, to recap, unless I got all those components for a song or donated I'd be bucks ahead to rebuild a basic 180, 185 or 206, or a -18, disgustingly it probably wouldn't cost alot more than my dream pacer, and it would be easier for the bride to sell once I attained room temp..... Sure wouldn't be anywhere near as fun to fly though. Flying a spam can is like........ lots a boring
    Last edited by rsrguy3; 11-05-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would leave as much out as I could.
    I "Modernized" in 1975 and if I rebuild again I would do 1950.